Jolla Announces Sailfish X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually piqued.

First the potential deal-breakers: the Xperia X has a non-replaceable battery and the Jolla ROM is only intended for the single-SIM version (F5121). BT support not yet included in the initial Sailfish X release.

The good: it's an upper mid-range model (i.e. decent value) with good specs. The Sony Corp. has committed some "fairly unforgivable" deeds, but I believe they're one of the best these days what comes to releasing a serviceably open version of Android for their phones. Oh, and the phone's got a 3.5mm jack and an SD card slot.

G-search showed them on sale for US$215 in the 'Publican Kingdom of Trumpiness. Released in May 2016 they could soon be officially unsupported by Sony and therefore cheap in the second hand market too.

Besides the potential downers I mentioned at the start it's looks like a good model to focus on.

Now, how will Jolla plan to support this Sailfish version and how much will the additional years cost?

Comment

Librem 5 sounds way more appealing and business-wise more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

There is still gullible people to scam. The QT mobile platform is still a narrative able to bring us a lot of laughs.
        Qt + Wayland is light years better than any Android Java bloat though. But the main problem, their UI in Sailfish is closed.

Comment

I have Sailfish installed on my Nexus 5. I like it, but c'mon Jolla!
          If I need to pay for a (mobile) OS I expect it to have complete hardware support on the hardware it is running on. Also I think $50 is a bit too steep. Maybe ~$25 would be ok.

Comment

1) Not free
            2) Proven scammers
            3) Depend on copyleft-hating, CLAed QT.

What is there not to laugh about?
            Someone here still doesn't understand how a dual-licensed software works.

Comment

There is still gullible people to scam. The QT mobile platform is still a narrative able to bring us a lot of laughs.
              (must be envious because GTK ain't used there like at all)

Comment

I suggest people just ignore our resident Gnome fanboi/zealot. Once people stop responding (directly and indirectly) to the troll, he will get bored and move on. Or maybe start taking some meds.

Comment

Yeah, I know how it works. You scam people into CLA and use their otherwise Free code in closed source edition.
                  Which basically works like a BSD/MIT license, you want to claim permissive licensed opensource code isn't free?

Comment

Pains me that many people frequenting the site are so stupid they can't even troll properly.

Comment

Already bought an Xperia X and unlocked it. Waiting for the Sailfish X release. And no, I'm not using Android meanwhile. Still using my Jolla 1.

Purism Librem 5 on the other hand would be the ultimate phone. Meanwhile, Sailfish will do fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X