Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Announces Sailfish X

Phoronix: Jolla Announces Sailfish X

As some more Linux phone news this week besides Android Oreo and Purism's Librem 5 smartphone effort, Jolla has just announced their plans for shipping Sailfish X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure if this is the final version but "most features and functionalities work nicely and smoothly" is not enough for me. Otherwise I would LOVE to have sailfish . . .

Comment

So let me get this right....
      You start with a perfectly good Android phone, pay for and install a proprietary "jolla sailfish" for it, which has running [IN? ON?] it, a forked.... ANDROID, so that it can actually be, uh, USED, and then what? How does this make anyone's life better? What is the point?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        So let me get this right....
        You start with a perfectly good Android phone, pay for and install a proprietary "jolla sailfish" for it, which has running [IN? ON?] it, a forked.... ANDROID, so that it can actually be, uh, USED, and then what? How does this make anyone's life better? What is the point?
        Sailfish OS is not a fork of Android. Everything you said makes you sound like a complete moron.

Comment

A couple of major questions.

1. When are they going to open source SailfishOS? They are promising it for years, and there is no progress.
          2. What's going on with the browser? Their Gecko / IPC Embedlite one is stuck on some old Gecko version, and Emedlite project is now dead. Do they plan to make new browser based on Servo may be?

Comment

This is done before it ever started. Still a tevo-ized Linux, costs 50 euros -- and doesn't even have complete hardware support. Are you kidding me? What do these guys imagine happening here? I mean even if its technically better than Android -- which I don't find hard to believe since Android is complete and utter trash -- its still an extra buy in for incomplete hardware support. OK, when they get that hardware support in place its less appalling... but it would have to be A LOT better and faster, more stable and secure than Android to justify replacing it for an extra cost. And through it all, its still just more tevo-ized Linux. Give me a break, this isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Meanwhile, Jolla still owes me $130 in refunding their catastrophic failure of a tablet. Not even considering anything they advertise until they make good on that debacle.

Comment

Hmm, I'm tempted to replace my old Jolla but not that much.

First, I don't want to own a Sony device- these guys screwed up so bad I'm not buying anything from Sony ever again. If I were to buy a new phone now, it'd be OnePlus 3T.

Second, paying money to get SailfishOS? And it doesn't even work fully? Did they at least get arm64 working right? I'd rather just install it myself. Of course that doesn't come with Android compat layer. There are devices that have better support already than Sony Xperia X:

I MIGHT consider buying an image just to keep the company afloat a while longer and sponsor development of Mer, but that's about it...

Comment

I find this date strange it was supposed to be launched late October, i guess they moved the launch to an earlier date.
                  I was told late October less then a week ago by Jolla.
                  It's for Sony Xperia X F5121.

Edit: i read the source link and it's an sale start 27 September not launch date for the download.
                  Last edited by Nille_kungen; 25 August 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Closed source garbage.

Comment

Working...
                    X