Google Rolls Out Chrome Enterprise: Chrome OS For Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
    Wow this is awful. The lock-in into Google's centralized online "services" is much deeper than typical Microsoft based environments. It's so irresponsible to trust everything an organization does to such a service, including all (usage) data that Google gets from this. Stallman was right, we should have listened when he started complaining about proprietary JavaScript that runs in your browser.
    That statement is actually pretty silly. Google is really playing catch-up to MS on ALL of your concerns.
    I work for an outfit that is heavily into the "MS" crap, and I'll tell you that add the OS, add the "outlook" (email, calendar, etc. service), add the rest of the proprietary crap that MS sells... it is a total lock-in to MS's online spy services and MUCH more insidious than the google offerings.

For one thing, even local network login and access controls are managed by MS, and integrated into MS's online elements. To me that really seems like an unacceptable security hole, basically, they are giving MS the ability to capture EVERYONE's usernames and passwords, and giving them free reign over the private internal network.

There is nothing that Google COULD do to exceed that level of compromise.

Which means that what this side of Google's business boils down to, is really just offering competition. They can't try to suggest an alternative type of service model, because the people stupid enough to trust MS to begin with are totally sold on this really bad idea. So they might as well capitalize on it.

The problem is that "cloud" and "software as a service" are current buzzwords that all of the management RETARDS have been completely sold on. Unfortunately, its going to remain a management buzzword that they all aspire to until the degree of hacking against this type of service REALLY gets bad and these services become completely unreliable.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'll probably sound like a pompous brat, but if your excel files are so complex that don't run in either LO and GD then you're probably using them wrong (= you're probably past the point where it would have made more sense to have a dedicated application for that job, maybe backed by an actual database and stuff).
      Holy crap! This is a rare moment, it's one where I totally agree with you. Spreadsheets are really awesome calculators. IMO anyway, if you aren't using a spreadsheet exclusively like a calculator then you're using it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        Hey bison, we have a like button so we don't flood forums with useless posts.
        Over half the posts on this forum are useless, so what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
          Over half the posts on this forum are useless, so what's the difference?
          Discussion can be useless while still being meaningful. Quoting someone's post, typing out +1, and then hitting reply has nothing to do with discussion. Even duby229 and starshipeleven are getting along in this because they're talking about it.

Comment

This only confirms that Google have too much money and little idea what to do with it's fortune. This is, I guess ,why Google will never be fully embraced by people who truly love and completely understand Open Source philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I'll probably sound like a pompous brat, but if your excel files are so complex that don't run in either LO and GD then you're probably using them wrong (= you're probably past the point where it would have made more sense to have a dedicated application for that job, maybe backed by an actual database and stuff).
              Let's say there was an attempt to create online app to replace that excel (which is basically nothing more than product backlog). It failed. Hard to meet all stakeholders' expectations in company with over 80k employees Welcome to enterprise world.
              Last edited by reavertm; 26 August 2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X