No announcement yet.

Android 8.0 "Oreo" Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google hates free expression and opinions that differ from the typical infantile SJW pablum. I would love to de-googleify myself and be rid of politically correct corporate censorship. Sadly, freeing myself from android is going to be the hardest to do. Plasma mobile is looking more and more appealing. Hopefully KDE can get their shit together on the mobile front.

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
      I'm looking forward to my phone having a slowly increasing melt down as I keep declining to update... Until I'm forced to update and it becomes slower than original with more presses needed to delete the bulk txt messages. Wtf is with all the confirmations. Delete should be two clicks not 3+.
      oh and a dictionary reset so I lose all my custom words.
      I'm on an old Nexus 5 and recently installed Android 7 (Paranoid Android), and it's genuinely much faster and reliable now than it was on stock 6.0.
      As for bulk deletion of SMS, how about just keep an SMS app with that kind of functionality in reserve for those few times you have to do that? Fuck me for thinking logically right?

Jesus, the acidity in this forum thread...

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post

Dude, so true. I used to be really into phones and custom firmwares and all that crap. Now I just couldn't care less. The new features are usually "uglier emoji" (lollipop emoji forever!) and features that are probably just spyware anyway. Phones reached a point of being able to do just about anything I'd like around Android 4.4 and since then nothing has happened that I gave a crap about. While I do a lot of texting, its just that -- texting, the phone itself barely matters at that point. Web sucks on mobile, always will, and games are total rubbish, and always will be.

Yawn to the max.
      We also got older. Funny that...

Comment

I'm hoping the Saltire flag emoji was added

Comment

Can anyone say planned obsolescence? So just talking about Google devices (Nexus, Pixel) - you get OS updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 years. Then you can walk around with a phone which is vulnerable to security issues or send it to a landfill. Neither are particularly good choices - and this is for a device that costs hundreds of dollars. I'm no iPhone fan, but at least 87% of iOS devices run the latest version. As of August, 2017 only 13% of android devices run Android N. It's really ridiculous and unacceptable for Android not to support devices longer.

Comment

Mostly you have to blame the mobile network providers for that. My Galaxy S4 mini, came out with officially updated software all the way to 4.4, but because my phone was a "vodaphone" branded one, it stuck with the original 4.2
            So I had to unbrand it, to get the updates.

Regardless, I have to say Android 5 was definitely more performant than 4.4, and 6 had a huge security model update, but 7 was very meh. No real difference from 6.

Now we are just sitting with the annoying google binary modules that are inflating at an insane pace.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
              Can anyone say planned obsolescence? So just talking about Google devices (Nexus, Pixel) - you get OS updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 years. Then you can walk around with a phone which is vulnerable to security issues or send it to a landfill. Neither are particularly good choices - and this is for a device that costs hundreds of dollars.
              Most people don't care and never will, so even if there is an attempt at planned obsolescence by hardware manufacturers, Google fucked them sideways with their app system where apps can just target the lowest common denominator and work fine anywhere.

I'm no iPhone fan, but at least 87% of iOS devices run the latest version.
              With their current pricing, it's still cheaper to buy a new Android device.

As of August, 2017 only 13% of android devices run Android N. It's really ridiculous and unacceptable for Android not to support devices longer.
              This is mostly the hardware manufacturer's issue, not Android's.

Comment

This announcement makes hungry...

Comment

Originally posted by Xodice View Post

Meh, it will be out for my Pixel XL and Pixel C very, very soon. Though I don't buy third-party Android devices, I prefer to stick to "Google devices" which get excellent software upgrades for the most part.
                  Pixel cost more than the average income over here, so they're only fixing the problem for the wrong part of the customers - those that can afford expensive phones already get the (relatively speaking) fastest updates.

Comment

DRM/KMS in Linux Kernel Version 4.9

The Digital Rights Management (DRM)/Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) framework used by Android is developed and maintained by Linux kernel developers in the Linux kernel. Android merges down from the Linux kernel. By merging down from our common kernel, device manufacturers gain the DRM/KMS framework automatically.

DRM/KMS became viable in Linux kernel version 4.9, and Android strongly encourages OEM partners to use DRM/KMS starting with this kernel version. Atomic Display Framework (ADF), the display framework officially supported by Android today, will not be supported in 4.9 and higher versions of the common Android kernel; instead, Android will support DRM/KMS from this version. OEMs can continue to use ADF (or any other framework), but Android will not support them in the common Android kernel.

To implement DRM/KMS, you will need to write your own drivers using DRM/KMS in addition to merging down the DRM/KMS framework from the android common kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                      I've just checked the full release notes and I agree... Downloadable fonts and emoji, I can see how they needed to bump the new major version for that. Sigh
                      You missed the Android Vitals part maybe? That's neat.

Comment

Working...
                      X