It Looks Like Purism Might Be Soon Launching Their Libre Linux Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkblu View Post
    What Michael_S suggested is exactly what I do -- takes me a small backpack. No problem with women whatsoever ; )
    I'm married seventeen years anyway, so there's only one woman I have to impress. And if her standards were high, she would have never accepted that ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      I kick around the idea of replacing my smartphone with a dumb phone, a camera, a small laptop, and a stand-alone GPS.

For the phone I get better battery life, lower replacement costs, and much cheaper wireless service contracts. For the camera, laptop, and GPS I get longer service lives, better ergonomics, the ability to upgrade independently, and the ability to lend them out and resell them.
      Who needs a laptop, when you can pick up a used Alphasmart Neo on the cheap, run it off AA batteries for 700 or so hours, and boot instantly to the last document you were writing?
      You can just connect it to any computer with a working USB port and a text editor, push a button, and it'll autotype the stored document like it was a keyboard typing at 200wpm. :P

Oh, right. Internet access. :P Well, the Chromebook C201's a tiny little thing.

Comment

Well how about a hardware keyboard? A notification LED? _no_ front camera? stereo speakers? low latency flash chip?
        And there's little point in putting the latest top-notch CPU in, I guess most linux lovers have better things to do than gaming.
        It would be lovable if it where to run a debian/wayland (plasma mobile) based OS..

Oh and for everyone who wants an affordable linux phone NOW: grab yourself a used Droid 4 XT894 on ebây for 'bout 40 bucks! With effort of Tony Lindgren and others, the 4.13 mainline kernel will support most of its hardware. There's a Sailfish Port in development by TheKit which uses libhybris.
        It would need someone to hack up a halium port so that different OSs can easily be supported.. multi-boot already works with safestrap recovery.

Comment

Working...
        X