It Looks Like Purism Might Be Soon Launching Their Libre Linux Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like Purism Might Be Soon Launching Their Libre Linux Phone

Phoronix: It Looks Like Purism Might Be Soon Launching Their Libre Linux Phone

Purism, the company that started out with the Librem laptops that are Linux-friendly and now pre-loaded with Coreboot, has long had ambitions for expanding into tablets, smartphones, and other devices. It looks like the first Purism Phone might soon be announced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lets hope the hardware is premium and the processor & capabilities smooth & abundant.

Comment

I'm hoping for an affordable option

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
        I'm hoping for an affordable option
        Unfortunately, probability very unrealistic given the small scale production, likely a premium if it ends up being 'libre', etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Affordable and supported by a stock kernel would be fan-freakin-tastic.

Comment

I'm still sad about having to abandon my Nexus 5 because of the lack of Vulkan support, so I'm hoping for an LTS phone with the same cost and hardware and support lifetime as a desktop computer.

Comment

For the love of Zod please don't give us an Allwinner.

Plz. (puppy eyes)

Comment

ah come on vbullettin stop harassing me.

(unapproved post above)

Comment

If it's not an Intel or AMD GPU with open source drivers, you can only choose one from usability and open source.

Comment

I kick around the idea of replacing my smartphone with a dumb phone, a camera, a small laptop, and a stand-alone GPS.

For the phone I get better battery life, lower replacement costs, and much cheaper wireless service contracts. For the camera, laptop, and GPS I get longer service lives, better ergonomics, the ability to upgrade independently, and the ability to lend them out and resell them.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Affordable and supported by a stock kernel would be fan-freakin-tastic.
                    I hope like hell that's what they offer and I would bet a few bucks that it's not.

Comment

Working...
                    X