That OpenSUSE Tablet So Far Is A Dud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    linux tablets are like modern amiga hardware. only for enthusiasts, which are not that many of.
    The stupid part is it doesn't have to be. GNOME, for example, makes for a pretty competent tablet UI. Linux in general has become decently touchscreen friendly. The way I see it, tablets are where Linux really could've spread into more hands, because pretty much everything it is/was known to be bad at (hardcore gaming and media production) a tablet isn't good for anyway. Most tablet users now aren't running Windows, so many of them are used to the idea of using incompatible software.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      You are using the wrong arguments (how many linux users need watsapp, snapchat and candy crush on their linux tablet?) but the main point is valid. ATM linux lacks tablet-friendly applications, and has half-assed tablet-friendly DEs like GNOME3 and hopefully a scavenged but still unfinished Unity 8
      Oh, I'm using the right arguments. I mean, when you build a tablet, are you targeting users or Linux users? If the latter is true, you already know your market is so small, you'll never get the scale to sell the thing for only $200.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Most tablet users now aren't running Windows, so many of them are used to the idea of using incompatible software.
        they are _very_ familiar to android (and ios sometimes) on tablets, though. anything else will have a really hard time.

Comment

Uhh... what difference does it make? Kind of the benefit of Linux is it doesn't matter what the processor is. Based on your reaction to my post, you clearly don't have that much experience using Linux on ARM. As long as you have working drivers, it's a very comfortable experience.
          Mirroring the question isn't an answer. Can I please use my experience in Linux on ARM to remind you that the ARM systems with decent GPU drivers are from Qualcomm and (lately) from NXP and they aren't exactly cheaper than equivalent Intel hardware?

If I have to use cheap crap I'd rather have Android on it that at least is designed to maximize its lifespan, on Linux I'd be left behind in a year tops.

What exactly do you need a BIOS for on an ARM platform?
          To have a GUI-equipped pre-boot environment so I can do basic stuff like booting from a USB key to install my favourite distro without connecting a TTL-USB dongle to the board so I can convince the crappy bootloader?
          To have less silly board-specific hacks in my firmware image?

Sure, technically some great bootloaders like uboot have modules to print on the screen and accept keyboard input, so there isn't specific strong need for that. But how many ARM boards are supported? How many of them are tablet-grade SoCs?

And how often do you find yourself reinstalling an OS?
          I assume that most people will like the idea of installing their favourite distro on their linux tablet because that's the main point of having the tablet running Linux in the first place, so providing a nice way to do that is cool, especially when people could simply go and buy a similar x86 tablet where there is a BIOS and they can do that in a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Oh, I'm using the right arguments. I mean, when you build a tablet, are you targeting users or Linux users? If the latter is true, you already know your market is so small, you'll never get the scale to sell the thing for only $200.
            More like "you never get the scale to sell the thing at all", yeah.
            Even with laptops they aren't designing their stuff from scratch (Purism is trying this way but I have my doubts) but selling "Clevo/Lenovo/whatever laptops tested with Linux", which is another thing entirely.

Comment

$100,000U$D, IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, over-crowdedfunding simply too much noise.
              100.000€ annual salary too f. prohibitive for startups.
              Actually things are much more simpler. Other development models are much more accessible and based only on meritocracy.
              In the absence of U$A/West headaches, with multi million-dollar budgets thrown out on the window on dumb things.

And all this, while Billions of euros from EU funds for [technology] startups remain untouched, year by year.

Comment

The stupid part is it doesn't have to be. GNOME, for example, makes for a pretty competent tablet UI. Linux in general has become decently touchscreen friendly.
                Ok for GNOME, but the second sentence is not totally true.
                How's the out-of-the-box multitouch support going? because a few months ago did require some manual setup AND disabling of the onboard touchpad of my small laptop (has a multitouch screen) because its driver was stealing all touch events.
                And it still was meh (most if not all applications don't support gestures ala Android so it's much more limited)

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                  In the absence of U$A/West headaches, with multi million-dollar budgets thrown out on the window on dumb things.

And all this, while Billions of euros from EU funds for [technology] startups remain untouched, year by year.
                  Gee, you're making it sound like those "headaches" make all the difference in the world...

Comment

I think it is tough to sell Linux only tablet or hardware. The market is too small with limited software. That is the reason we created VOLKSPC OS that can run both Android and Debian on ARM. But we still have not been able to find a tablet hardware vendor who would support our solution.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Ok for GNOME, but the second sentence is not totally true.
                      How's the out-of-the-box multitouch support going? because a few months ago did require some manual setup AND disabling of the onboard touchpad of my small laptop (has a multitouch screen) because its driver was stealing all touch events.
                      And it still was meh (most if not all applications don't support gestures ala Android so it's much more limited)
                      I never said anything about out-of-the-box multitouch. It exists and it is functional for a tablet. Keep in mind I said "decent", which doesn't mean "good" or anything better.
                      If a tablet is being made for Linux and comes shipped with Linux, I'm sure it will have a good out-of-box experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X