AMD Submits Radeon/AMDGPU DRM Updates Slated For Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    The only alternative is cancelling their open source plans?
    The alternative is to port some of the brand new DAL features to drm. It won't change that much IMHO because they already managed to make and maintain a pretty damn good non-DAL kernel driver.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

The alternative is to port some of the brand new DAL features to drm. It won't change that much IMHO because they already managed to make and maintain a pretty damn good non-DAL kernel driver.
      Porting the DAL code to the legacy amdgpu modesetting code is probably more work than finishing the DAL rework and you don't get atomic support.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
        Do we know yet, whether it is possible to run Vega with an unpatched Linux kernel and use an Intel IGP to feed the display using PRIME?
        Yes, you should be able to use it in a PRIME setup.

Comment

Cool! I hope Arch Linux will turn on this flag, and I don't need to compile the kernel anymore for my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Yes, you can use the fully open source kernel driver from the pro packages without the closed source usermode drivers if you prefer packaged drivers.
            Thanks Alex for confirming!

Comment

@agd5f: I see you created a new branch in your git repository amd-mainline-hybrid-4.11.

What does it stand for?
              Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                Cool! I hope Arch Linux will turn on this flag, and I don't need to compile the kernel anymore for my desktop.
                You don't need to compile a kernel on Arch to get amdgpu support, it's been on for months already.

As for AMD, thanks for the DCE6 audio support! I've been looking forward to it for a while
                Last edited by geearf; 08 June 2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                  Can anyone from AMD can comment do they still expect DC/DAL to land at some point (in a form it conforms DRM maintainer wishes)?
                  why don't you ask to comment whether 2*2==4?

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                    Except DC support would land in some 4.13 RC so I could buy and use it immediately. I do still hope.
                    dc already landed in 4.11 https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...d-staging-4.11
                    you just have to choose correct package

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      It won't change that much IMHO because they already managed to make and maintain a pretty damn good non-DAL kernel driver.
                      outside of your alternative reality they don't have non-dal vega driver. and they don't have advanced features in non-dal drivers

Comment

Working...
                      X