Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Submits Radeon/AMDGPU DRM Updates Slated For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: AMD Submits Radeon/AMDGPU DRM Updates Slated For Linux 4.13

AMD developers have submitted their first round of Radeon/AMDGPU feature updates to DRM-Next for in turn targeting the Linux 4.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone from AMD can comment do they still expect DC/DAL to land at some point (in a form it conforms DRM maintainer wishes)?

Comment

Nice... I can expect my GPU to be sold out right after the release by coin miners so my only chance would be pre-ordering but will probably have to wait while it gets completely unaffordable and unavailable until I can even use it to display something...
      Except DC support would land in some 4.13 RC so I could buy and use it immediately. I do still hope.

Comment

Well, some news on DC (DAL) would be of interest, indeed. The customers are the ones who will be suffering when they buy a shiny new Vega or even some RavenRidge-APU based laptop (so you have hardly an alternative) and then you can't get a screen to the system and need a ser... wait... some other console to talk to it. Or you're locked to some VESA driver while your chip starts overheating.
        Yes, I am aware that there is code that is working - but not in any official upstream tree and even further from any distribution inclusion.
        So I'd rather have something upstreamed that works at all and that maybe still needs complexity reduction, coding style / concept discussions, polishing an the likes - than having nothing at all.

(Oh wait, was'n there some binary blob driver that I have totally forgotten about? Maybe that might be an alternative for the average end user for the first months. But likely that one won't work with recent kernels but you need a recent kernel to work on the HW... *sigh*)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
          Can anyone from AMD can comment do they still expect DC/DAL to land at some point (in a form it conforms DRM maintainer wishes)?
          From previous comments it seems that DC/DAL has to land eventually. The only alternative is cancelling their open source plans?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Well, some news on DC (DAL) would be of interest, indeed. The customers are the ones who will be suffering when they buy a shiny new Vega or even some RavenRidge-APU based laptop (so you have hardly an alternative) and then you can't get a screen to the system and need a ser... wait... some other console to talk to it. Or you're locked to some VESA driver while your chip starts overheating.
            Yes, I am aware that there is code that is working - but not in any official upstream tree and even further from any distribution inclusion.
            So I'd rather have something upstreamed that works at all and that maybe still needs complexity reduction, coding style / concept discussions, polishing an the likes - than having nothing at all.

(Oh wait, was'n there some binary blob driver that I have totally forgotten about? Maybe that might be an alternative for the average end user for the first months. But likely that one won't work with recent kernels but you need a recent kernel to work on the HW... *sigh*)
            I believe that you can just grab the amdgpuDKMS package in that binary package (which is 100% FOSS, and contains the DC modules) that will add what you need. I believe bridgman said it will work with mesa, but I can't get my hands on a Vega to mess around with it after hours. With that said, I believe it's completely untested on anything after Linux 4.11.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
              As I understand to get DC features into upstream there should be no DC. Code should be "ported" from DC to current DRM stack without additional vendor-specific layers.

Comment

DAL/DC is Lisa's idea

Lisa Su on the Art of Setting Ambitious Goals

Earl Wilson / The New York Times
                May 19, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I believe that you can just grab the amdgpuDKMS package in that binary package (which is 100% FOSS, and contains the DC modules) that will add what you need. I believe bridgman said it will work with mesa, but I can't get my hands on a Vega to mess around with it after hours. With that said, I believe it's completely untested on anything after Linux 4.11.
                  Yes, you can use the fully open source kernel driver from the pro packages without the closed source usermode drivers if you prefer packaged drivers.

Comment

Do we know yet, whether it is possible to run Vega with an unpatched Linux kernel and use an Intel IGP to feed the display using PRIME?

Comment

Working...
                    X