Radeon's Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Has Nearly Caught Up With Windows' Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuPuF View Post

This is the sign of a bad compiler ... or that different shaders got fed to the GPU either because the proprietary driver has hand-optimised versions or because the game does not present the same shader (improper port).
    Let's hope that these generic optimisations can be sorted out!

I wonder if it would be too crazy to think that once DC has landed and the inevitable bugs fixed that we could get some multi GPU loving in the opengl world - it would be interesting!

Comment

Man, it'd be interesting if they shipped Mesa on Windows for OpenGL. That could have an positive effect on the quality of both efforts. Maybe we could also see D3D10,11, and maybe 12 back in Mesa in addition to nine.

Comment

How is it possible that GRID Autosport port to linux performs better than windows original?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Apparently still not fast enough to benchmark alongside Nvidia :P
          And I won't even mention the still missing functionality. Not a word about Vulkan. Or HDMI audio.

So yeah, great strides, but there's still distance to cover.
          RADV is your friend if you use mesa-git, everyday literally performance gets better.(lots of patches landing in mailing list for performance since few days ago and i mean a lot)

if i'm not wrong this kernel have all active https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...d-staging-4.11 including DC

If you use arch linux install with this repo, includes everything even the kernel

[mesa-git]
          Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/$repo/$arch

the only thing missing i would say is rocm OpenCL support outside polaris and UVD/VCE for GCN1.0 in AMDGPU but well that is moot for now if you have a decent CPU for encoding/decoding

Comment

Wanna see some Vulkan numbers.
            Talos Principle, Dota2, Serious Sam Fusion all implement Vulkan across Windows + Linux.
            Need to compare the windows driver performance to RadV...

Comment

Well, a few things are still to be done, like the mentioned Crimson-settings - but in general this looks really good.

For anything that is "hand crafted" optimization on the driver side to boost specific games, I don't like it. MAYBE I could live with stuff like profiles for certain games, but driver side injection of specific optimization is the driver doing the work the developer should have done. Still, the demand is so strong, that AMD and Nvidia had to do it in order to stay competitive, but its stupid nevertheless. I hope we don't see that on Linux.

Great results - its still a little way to catch up to parity with the Nvidia drivers, but it seems we don't have to worry about Linux vs. Windows performance anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                How is it possible that GRID Autosport port to linux performs better than windows original?
                There is a heavy use of multithreading in the Linux version thanks to Feral and Mesa/Gallium.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                  Does it?
                  Think only at low settings when running at >100fps.

Comment

Shadow of Mordor... wait... does this use opengl on windows? I thought it used directX. (If they use different renders then using them in a comparison would be wrong)

Comment

Congrats team AMD Linux!

Just when it was looking like Phoronix readers would be wed to the green team forever, this has given us all hope for quality, open, performant Radeon drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X