X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

I didn't know such broken DE is a standard Linix desktop. You're joking, right? KDE beats it in every possible way.
    KDE might be as broken.. Easy enough to crash it with widgets

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Besides...if the standard Linux desktop worldwide is not to your taste you have a plethora of hobbyist DE's to choose. That's what makes Linux and Open Source great.
    I didn't know such broken DE is a standard Linix desktop. You're joking, right? KDE beats it in every possible way.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    No way - trust me, I've used KDE before, my Unity setup is nothing like it. Unity tweaked is unmatched in my opinion. Looks great, and is _extremely_ fast, zero lag all throughout. It's taken many years to finally get my box to this complete setup. It wasn't until my RX 480 that I got really into it, and to be fair I just had a crappy 650Ti on my Debian/Gnome box so I wasn't as enthusiastic as I am now. For example, before I would just ignore when something wasn't exactly how I liked it; now I took the initiative to really search for a solution, even if it means writing up one myself. I'm way happier and more productive now.

On the top right taskbar, I have:

Redshift - controlling monitor temperature, similar to flux but open-source
    Razer/Polychromatic - features of my Razer mouse
    Dropbox
    Classic Menu Indicator (this is really handy and nice overview of all of your applications)
    Geary Mail indicator

I'm sure you didn't really care for the details of my response, but wanted to just mention those. The dock on the bottom is the best I've used by far; OS X, GNOME, elementary, etc.

Linux is one of those where everyone has their own idea of their "perfect setup." but I'm glad I'm finally there.
    That's the thing, though: I'm pretty sure Unity is not meant to be tweaked. KDE Plasma is. I don't see anything in your setup that can't be done in Plasma (and most of that is easier done in Plasma), especially if you're fine with writing a solution (=plasmoid) yourself.

Point is, it's great that you customise the desktop (I like doing that too), but do you really want to stick to a legacy DE (with no Wayland support) as opposed to an actively developed one?

Leave a comment:

• hwertz
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post

If Compiz is your only problem, you can use gnome-session-flashback, it have default compiz and metacity sessions, it is simple DE, but it have same applications as Unity7 had. Or any other DE others already suggested. Compiz is fine, but for classic animations clutter is much better (as it is in mutter and all mutter based WM's = gala, deepin-wm, muffin etc.).

I've personally used gnome-session-flashback with gala wm for quite a while before going to Gnome-Shell.
    For now, unfortunately not. Trying out Ubuntu 17.10 daily builds in VirtualBox, I've found... a) With the previous Ubuntu 17.10 build I installed it listed Unity, when I installed gnome-session-flashback it also listed gnome flashback (metacity) and gnome flashback (compiz) but both just load the desktop background, and that's it. They don't work. After a recent update it added gnome (and gnome for Wayland) to the list (which to me looks too much like Unity and too little like a conventional desktop.) b) With a fresh install of the daily build as of a day or so ago, it now just lists Gnome and Gnome for Wayland as options, and installing gnome-session-flashback only lists flashback (metacity) -- no more Compiz. The flashback session still doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Hm, you seem to be making Unity quite a bit like KDE...
    No way - trust me, I've used KDE before, my Unity setup is nothing like it. Unity tweaked is unmatched in my opinion. Looks great, and is _extremely_ fast, zero lag all throughout. It's taken many years to finally get my box to this complete setup. It wasn't until my RX 480 that I got really into it, and to be fair I just had a crappy 650Ti on my Debian/Gnome box so I wasn't as enthusiastic as I am now. For example, before I would just ignore when something wasn't exactly how I liked it; now I took the initiative to really search for a solution, even if it means writing up one myself. I'm way happier and more productive now.

On the top right taskbar, I have:

Redshift - controlling monitor temperature, similar to flux but open-source
    Razer/Polychromatic - features of my Razer mouse
    Dropbox
    Classic Menu Indicator (this is really handy and nice overview of all of your applications)
    Geary Mail indicator

I'm sure you didn't really care for the details of my response, but wanted to just mention those. The dock on the bottom is the best I've used by far; OS X, GNOME, elementary, etc.

Linux is one of those where everyone has their own idea of their "perfect setup." but I'm glad I'm finally there.

Leave a comment:

• ⲣⲂaggins
    replied
    At this rate, kde will be the only desktop left with wobbly windows + desktop cube. May they continue to live on...

Leave a comment:

• tuuker
    replied
    gnome-session-flasback is one of most solid and simplest desktop that works and is fast and easy.

Leave a comment:

• A-Singh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
    Sigh, I was only 1 or 2 more years from learning to love Unity! LOL Seriously, Gnome is cool but I have really found MATE to be all I need. Why do I think Ubuntu finally caved in and woke up to people hating Unity? Maybe several years of Linux Mint beating them on Distrowatch. You can't shove garbage down people's throats.
    Distrowatch numbers mean nothing lol. I wish people would get that already.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    I literally did this yesterday (upgrade to 17.10 from 17.04 by running do-release-upgrade -d) and found out the hard way. Luckily I used Clonezilla to make a complete backup before hand so I was up and running on Unity again shortly after.

It's just not the same. And I say that after running Debian + Gnome for a few years before I fell in love with my Ubuntu setup (actually giving it a shot and getting all the right tweaks, software, etc how I like it). For the time I was on 17.10, I added Dash to Dock right away which was nice. I also liked the browser extension in Chrome to easily install shell extensions. Definitely a polished DE. But after using it for a couple hours I was like "Well, I don't HAVE to use this yet, so I won't." To each their own though and their both fantastic DE's. Won't be giving up my Unity setup for a long time. http://imgur.com/a/8ABFT
    Hm, you seem to be making Unity quite a bit like KDE...

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    LOL...ahhh...Jumbotron. Where would we be without your baseless claims of ultimate truth? Your pronouncements from on high about what is standard Linux desktop or not. Kind of like....a troll. LOL !!!
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X