Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Begins Transition To GNOME Shell Desktop By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Begins Transition To GNOME Shell Desktop By Default

Those downloading the very latest Ubuntu desktop ISO of 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" for testing will find that it now boots to the GNOME Shell desktop and also provides an option for running GNOME on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No! Compiz can't die.

You can't beat perfected desktop consistency that Unity7 gives, global menu, dash HUD, unified notification/OSD, audioplayer/IM integration. There's bunch of patches applied to many packages to give consistent look/behavior among apps, it will suck to see this go away once gnome3 arrives.

Comment

Relax. That's only a team Ubuntu patch or GNOME extension away. Unity was nothing more than Ubuntu tweaked GNOME anyways. As team Ubuntu said they are going to offer "
      as close as possible" vanilla GNOME. But there is some wiggle room is "as close"

Besides...if the standard Linux desktop worldwide is not to your taste you have a plethora of hobbyist DE's to choose. That's what makes Linux and Open Source great.

Comment

Sigh, I was only 1 or 2 more years from learning to love Unity! LOL Seriously, Gnome is cool but I have really found MATE to be all I need. Why do I think Ubuntu finally caved in and woke up to people hating Unity? Maybe several years of Linux Mint beating them on Distrowatch. You can't shove garbage down people's throats.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
          Sigh, I was only 1 or 2 more years from learning to love Unity! LOL Seriously, Gnome is cool but I have really found MATE to be all I need. Why do I think Ubuntu finally caved in and woke up to people hating Unity? Maybe several years of Linux Mint beating them on Distrowatch. You can't shove garbage down people's throats.
          Unity 8 was tied to Mir, which was tied to their whole mobile convergence concept. When they decided to pull the funding for that, Unity 8 was dead.

Unity 7, on the other hand, is tied to X. It basically needs a complete rewrite to work with Wayland (which is what 8 was supposed to do, but then Mir happened).

It's a little disappointing Unity is going away, but they've clearly decided to go with something ready to move forward with Wayland in the near future rather than sink a lot more time and money trying to port Unity again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
            MATE is great and I just hope it gets wayland support soon. Though I guess it's really not too big of a hurry because I imagine wayland won't be considered standard for linux applications until like 2020.

Comment

At Canonical they think packages they compiled (from source others wrote) are their property. This alone should make ppl boycot Ubuntu.

Comment

Sigh, I actually was starting to enjoy Unity ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  Relax. That's only a team Ubuntu patch or GNOME extension away. Unity was nothing more than Ubuntu tweaked GNOME anyways. As team Ubuntu said they are going to offer "
                  as close as possible" vanilla GNOME. But there is some wiggle room is "as close"

Besides...if the standard Linux desktop worldwide is not to your taste you have a plethora of hobbyist DE's to choose. That's what makes Linux and Open Source great.
                  I feel like they should have a "Dash to Dock" like extension as default, to at least make it not too irking to those coming over from Unity.

Honestly, if I could have only one extension, it would be dash to dock.

Comment

What's dash to dock? I haven't seen that in my xfce.

Comment

Working...
                    X