Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Now Supported By Coreboot

Phoronix: Lenovo ThinkPsd X1 Carbon Now Supported By Coreboot

For those with a first-generation Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop, it's now supported by mainline Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael is this the one you own? Are you going to test it?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I specifically bought a 1st gen Thinkpad (second hand) in anticipation for an open bios. Michael, I would be very interested in any experience or reviews you do with this.

Comment

I have a T430, but the one listed as supported is a slightly different model (T430s). They look the same but I'm not comfortable trying to find out by my self if they share the same BIOS.

Comment

The patch author is also a LEDE/OpenWRT contributor, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            I have a T430, but the one listed as supported is a slightly different model (T430s). They look the same but I'm not comfortable trying to find out by my self if they share the same BIOS.
            I'd first start with checking if the official Lenovo bios are the same (checksums when downloaded from the website?). The 's' line generally stands for slim, and I think that Lenovo usually made some part changes to thin the laptop down, which would suggest different bios to me.

Comment

Just installed linux on a 1st gen Thinkpad 13 (Skylake). Everything just worked, including the wireless and docking station (which is more of a break-out-box, really). Excluding the Chromebook version, good open-box new or refurbs can be found for > $400, even with a 1080p screen. Go for an i3 or i5. Beware that the 4 GB models have only one DIMM installed, so be prepared to drop $40 on another (or replace the pair to reach 16 GB or allegedly even 32 GB). SSD is M.2 SATA.

Pretty much the only con is that HDMI is only 1.4, though I think most of the Kaby Lake's are even limited to this. DisplayPort is on the "docking station", but I assume it still uses processor graphics.

Anyway, if it also supported Coreboot, that would be the icing on the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                I specifically bought a 1st gen Thinkpad (second hand) in anticipation for an open bios. Michael, I would be very interested in any experience or reviews you do with this.
                Ive got three of these first gen Thinkpads handy ill be testing on at least one. Still waiting for a full firmware for my Chromebook Pixel 2013 from 'mrchromebox.tech'

Comment

It seems interesting that the newest Intel devices with proper coreboot support, Ivy Bridge (Apr 2012), also happen to be the latest supported devices from the AMI UEFI source code leak a few years ago.

Hopefully they manage to get some newer devices supported eventually.
                  Last edited by calc; 01 May 2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

This is relatively new. Real cool. If the only limitation of coreboot laptops is being 5-years behind, at this point, thats something I'll take. I already use older and worse as a daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X