Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop Power, Boot Times With Ubuntu 17.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laptop Power, Boot Times With Ubuntu 17.04

    Phoronix: Laptop Power, Boot Times With Ubuntu 17.04

    A Phoronix Premium reader recently requested some fresh boot time comparisons and power consumption numbers for Intel laptop hardware, so here are some numbers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24542

  • #2
    Typo:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and HD Graphics 55000.

    Comment


    • #3
      How come something called a "loader" takes twice as long to load as the kernel?

      Comment


      • #4
        Good g. "about the same power draw" repeated over and over. Using no other metric but min/max/avg make little sense. Where is the total power/task?

        Comment


        • #5
          Using ssd I boosted booting 4 seconds by removing unneeded services and making a non debug 1000 Hz timer kernel. Using Xfce instead of unity will speed up more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pszilard View Post
            Good g. "about the same power draw" repeated over and over. Using no other metric but min/max/avg make little sense. Where is the total power/task?
            Indeed, maximum power draw is very useless, as the device manufacturer (in this case Lenovo) can set the CPU thermal limits and respectively power draw as they want.
            The observable 20 watts do not define the power the OS, the CPU or whatever wanted to draw, it implicitely defines how powerful Lenovo's cooling solution on that Laptop is with acceptable noise...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by indepe View Post
              How come something called a "loader" takes twice as long to load as the kernel?
              bootloader. could be GRUB with a 3 second timeout for the menu.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

                bootloader. could be GRUB with a 3 second timeout for the menu.
                That would actually be the "boot manager" rather than the boot "loader", but since grub can be both, maybe that's what it is.
                Last edited by indepe; 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM.

                Comment

                Working...
                X