Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anbox Is A New Way To Run Android Apps On A Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Anbox Is A New Way To Run Android Apps On A Linux Desktop

While there was the KDE-aligned Shashlik effort for trying to get Android apps running on the Linux desktop, Anbox is a new initiative made public this week by a Canonical developer for running Android programs on the Linux desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...roid-Linux-Box

Near as I can tell, Anbox takes an approach that is very similar to how Google runs Android apps on ChromeOS using ARC++. But I would suspect that ARC++ and Anbox probably differ somewhat in how they forward Android surfaces from SurfaceFlinger to the host OS for compositing and user interactions.

Comment

So sad that ubuntu phone was killed, it was even going to support android applications with Anbox, what a waste. I hope the community keeps it alive, that the community stops complaining so much about what canonical does and some time if the future the projects are re-adopted (at least financially) by canonical.

Comment

it doesnt work on arch linux for now

Comment

Very cool. I was hoping Shashlik would come to something but this seems to get better results with less code.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            it doesnt work on arch linux for now
            It's still pre-alpha. Give it time.

Comment

Snap only for now, flatpak version will need community support to land it soon

Comment

it depends on unity and only runs on ubuntu.

Comment

arc++ uses chrome, shashlik needs kde, anbox depends on unity...

Comment

The holy grail for my linux HTPC is the Netflix android app in a quickstarting, controller supporting android layer.
                    Definitely something better than launching Chromium + widevine from Kodi in kiosk mode. Hopefully, the 720p and 2.0 audio limits are also gone then.

In any case, I'm looking forward to an Anbox beta!

Comment

Working...
                    X