Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which distribution/DE is the best for tablets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here's the third review: http://greatemerald.eu/blog/mobile-o...-remix-os.html

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    32-bit UEFI of BayTrail is non-issue in my opinion, Step 1 here pretty much cover this. 2GB RAM limit and GPU performnce is more serious problems, if you compare with CherryTrail.
    That's still way complicated, and 32-bit UEFI support is basically a hack in the kernel. It works, sure, but it's not something I'd call supported by Linux and distributions. But either way, Cherry Trail is indeed the way to go.

I don't think 150%scaling necessary, because you look at ablet screen closer than at desktop screen.
    It's not so much about item scaling as it is about touch input. At 100% everything is real tiny and it's too easy to misclick. At 125% it's better, but 150% would be pretty much perfect (as long as there is nothing that requires more than 533 pixels in height at 100%).

As said above, not gonna work until you use kernel with BayTrail/CherryTrail specific patches.
    See the Remix OS review above

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      But either way, Cherry Trail is indeed the way to go.
      In general I would agree, but it depends on financial situation of customer. BayTrail devices, especially used stuff from eBay, is way cheaper.

At 125% it's better, but 150% would be pretty much perfect (as long as there is nothing that requires more than 533 pixels in height at 100%).
      Oh, I see what this is about...

See the Remix OS review above
      But that the point:

The main things that are still missing are battery level indication and audio.
      And what about suspend and buttons support? Anyway, there is plenty of BayTrail/CherryTrail kernels, like ASUS T100 kernels, Linuxium kernels, Hans kernel, etc. But usually you need to build own kernel for your device, because many devices need audio quirks, some need touchscreen quirks, etc. Hopefully, situation will change to better soon, as more and more drivers and patches get upstreamed. Then any project that usa upstream kernel will work out of the box.
      Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 15 May 2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

And what about suspend and buttons support? Anyway, there is plenty of BayTrail/CherryTrail kernels, like ASUS T100 kernels, Linuxium kernels, Hans kernel, etc. But usually you need to build own kernel for your device, because many devices need audio quirks, some need touchscreen quirks, etc. Hopefully, situation will change to better soon, as more and more drivers and patches get upstreamed. Then any project that usa upstream kernel will work out of the box.
        I mentioned that suspend is acting weirdly from what I tested, but I need to do more testing to know why and how. As for buttons, there are only three: volume up and volume down (useless without audio), and power (which normally would act as suspend and thus is also not very useful until I figure that one out).

If you want references, this is the bug I filed for the battery level support: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195689 And this is the existing bug for audio: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187621

But yes, my next step will be building my own kernel as part of a Gentoo installation. I might even stream the process, actually.

Comment

And here's the third review: http://greatemerald.eu/blog/mobile-o...-remix-os.html
          from your blog:
          From features that the kernel provides, the vast majority works out of the box. Display, brightness adjustment, wireless internet (iwlwifi), keyboard, camera all work fine. The main things that are still missing are battery level indication and audio. The kernel bug tracker already has a patch for audio, and I have submitted a bug report for the battery. Suspend and resume support is a bit confusing: if I choose to suspend, the screen goes dark, and if I press buttons on the keyboard it resumes after a while, but I’m not yet sure if it actually suspends in the mean while. It seems that it suspends and then resumes automatically in a loop. I’ll need to do more tests to figure that out.
          You seem to have lucked with hardware. I tried Remix on Samsung's and Asus's netbooks (X125 and eeePC). Remix did not recognize Atheros wifi (AR9462) in either, same issue with batteries and audio. X125's suspend/resume worked, eeePC lost touchpad and keyboard after waking up in about 1/3 of cases. I could swap wifi modules but nothing much one can do about battery being not shown..

What worked in Android-x86. Battery level, 3D accel, audio, wifi (Atheros/Intel cards at least-I tried to throw out all Broadcoms I happen to run across). On both models.

What did not work on Android-x86 - forcing ALL apps into landscape mode. Often enough after some app went to portraid mode and you quit it, Android remained in portraid mode and only restart helped. Remix seemed to have less of this issue.

What did not work on either: cellular modems, be them USB sticks or broadband mini-PCIe (soldered adapter to one of the USB ports for testing).

Remix UI: clumsy, hated the Remix Central.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

You seem to have lucked with hardware. I tried Remix on Samsung's and Asus's netbooks (X125 and eeePC). Remix did not recognize Atheros wifi (AR9462) in either, same issue with batteries and audio. X125's suspend/resume worked, eeePC lost touchpad and keyboard after waking up in about 1/3 of cases. I could swap wifi modules but nothing much one can do about battery being not shown..

What worked in Android-x86. Battery level, 3D accel, audio, wifi (Atheros/Intel cards at least-I tried to throw out all Broadcoms I happen to run across). On both models.
            Huh, interesting, so the kernels of Android-x86 and Remix OS seem to be quite different, then. I wonder what would happen if they were swapped... Diffing them might also be an interesting thing to do.

Comment

I mentioned that suspend is acting weirdly from what I tested, but I need to do more testing to know why and how. As for buttons, there are only three: volume up and volume down (useless without audio), and power (which normally would act as suspend and thus is also not very useful until I figure that one out).

If you want references, this is the bug I filed for the battery level support: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195689 And this is the existing bug for audio: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187621

But yes, my next step will be building my own kernel as part of a Gentoo installation. I might even stream the process, actually.
              I guess you search solution for already solved problems, try this. And, as I said above, as usually with BayTrail/CherryTrail, one need additional patches for own hardware, in your case it's patches for audio adapter.

Comment

Just checked in Ubuntu GNOME, suspend/resume works fine (everything keeps working after resume), Bluetooth works fine too. So it really is just battery level and audio that's still missing. I'm not sure how to test whether the gyro works, though.

Why would I use non-mainline sources, when mainline sources work fine with presumably merely two patches?

And yea, I'll stream Gentoo installation for whoever might be interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZY3uRP8QQo
                Last edited by GreatEmerald; 17 May 2017, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure how to test whether the gyro works, though.
                  Check monitor-sensor output.

Why would I use non-mainline sources, when mainline sources work fine with presumably merely two patches?
                  Because mainline doesn't include this fixes https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-...commits/master - this list of changes in 4.12rc1 sources. With 4.11 list is three times longer as I remember. And for 4.10 difference is even bigger.

Comment

Check monitor-sensor output.
                    The what? Do you mean lm_sensors?

Because mainline doesn't include this fixes https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-...commits/master - this list of changes in 4.12rc1 sources. With 4.11 list is three times longer as I remember. And for 4.10 difference is even bigger.
                    Hm, some sound relevant, but for the most part as long as I have battery and audio I'm fine with mainline. I can wait for those patches to get upstreamed. I might try it to see if it solves the battery issue, though.

Comment

The what? Do you mean lm_sensors?
                      https://github.com/hadess/iio-sensor-proxy

Comment

Working...
                      X