Google Kahlee: The First AMD-Powered Chromebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    There is one Chromebook which I was somewhat interested in, which is the HP Chromebook G1
    It ticks all the boxes:[*]USB Type-C connector with USB Power Delivery and DisplayPort Alternate Mode[*]This means only 1 cable for port replication/power/video output! How cool is that?
    A bit OT, but please does that mean that when I use the USB-C as a Display Port Alternate Mode I won't be able to charge the Chromebook?
    Cheers

Comment

The HP Chromebook G1 has two USB-C ports and can be charged and display video through either port.

If you want to connect two external monitors and charge at the same time, you need a breakout box like the Club3D CSV-1537 or the Apple Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        Anyway, Chromebooks are all about battery life, so AMD is not really interesting, unless it's Zen. And since they removed native SSH, sure you have a plugin, but it's less attractive to me.
        Excavator is actually very power efficient. It's still not quite as efficient as it's Intel counterparts, but pretty close.

My home server has an Athlon 5350 (a quad core Excavator part) and even though it has 2 hard drives, a PCIe RAID controller, and some crappy PSU I grabbed from a junked HP, it only uses about 35W under full load.

Comment

It ticks all the boxes:
          • 3200x1800 screen
          • USB Type-C connector with USB Power Delivery and DisplayPort Alternate Mode
          • Less than 1.5 kg
          • 8 GB RAM
          • reasonable price (800€ here)

except sadly, it has an Intel CPU.

If something like that comes with AMD processor, then it is an instant buy for me. Most AMD laptops have low-resolution screens, >2 kg weight and/or lacking USB-C features.
          I more or less agree with your list, but I would rather trade the 4K screen with a 1080p one (heck, even a 720p is the ppm/dpi count is high enough) for better battery life (and cheaper prices). It might look pretty, but there is no point in it if it doesn't bring more usability to the table, in my opinion.

Comment

There is one Chromebook which I was somewhat interested in, which is the HP Chromebook G1
            It ticks all the boxes:
            • 3200x1800 screen
            • USB Type-C connector with USB Power Delivery and DisplayPort Alternate Mode
              • This means only 1 cable for port replication/power/video output! How cool is that?
            • Less than 1.5 kg
            • 8 GB RAM
            • reasonable price (800€ here)

except sadly, it has an Intel CPU.

If something like that comes with AMD processor, then it is an instant buy for me. Most AMD laptops have low-resolution screens, >2 kg weight and/or lacking USB-C features.
            https://geizhals.eu/?cat=nb&xf=10029...e)~9_2560x1440
            • 2560x1440 non-glare screen
            • USB Type-C connector
            • 1.5 kg
            • 8 GB RAM
            • AMD processor
            • SSD

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              ... an Athlon 5350 (a quad core Excavator part) ...
              No!
              This is a Kabini with 4 Jaguar cores.

Comment

Yes, and it costs an arm and a leg, and still does not support USB Power Delivery nor DisplayPort Alternate Mode. No thanks.
                I can get an Intel based notebook that has all this for 800€, but why is there nothing from AMD in the price range?

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                I more or less agree with your list, but I would rather trade the 4K screen with a 1080p one (heck, even a 720p is the ppm/dpi count is high enough) for better battery life (and cheaper prices). It might look pretty, but there is no point in it if it doesn't bring more usability to the table, in my opinion.
                It is able to display so much more information. I am totally with Linus Torvalds on the question of screen resolution. FullHD is good for smartphones and $200 PCs and tablets, but if I want to do real work then more resolution is always better.

Now with Ryzen, AMD has fixed their desktop PC offering. I hope they can fix their notebooks next.
                Last edited by chithanh; 07 April 2017, 03:25 AM.

Comment

... why is there nothing from AMD in the price range?
                  Because AMD (as intel) doesn't manufacture notebooks. Ask HP, Dell, Lenovo, ...

Comment

I know that AMD has a long history of hiding behind such silly excuses.

But AMD, if your partners don't deliver, then it is your responsibility to work with them and provide the necessary incentives.
                    Remember when Northern Islands launched and AMD advertised DisplayPort MST function? MST hubs took around two years to reach the market.
                    Remember when Fury launched and lacked HDMI 2.0? Adapters were promised, but nowhere to be found for months.
                    With FreeSync 2, they finally realized that a 40-60 Hz VRR range just doesn't make them look good compared to the G-Sync competition. And Xbox Scorpio reportedly supports FreeSync too, which if true will give a boost to that technology. But what would be the G-Sync vs. FreeSync situation if that had been baked into PS4 and Xbox One from the beginning? Certainly much different.

Now the next thing to fix is IMO that no AMD laptop exists that is lightweight, and has a high-resolution screen and modern connectivity options, and costs not more than comparable Intel products.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I don't know anything about this. What does it do and why is it bad?
                      It goes into developer mode so you can install something else. Don't know what his problem is with this possibility..

Comment

Working...
                      X