Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Kahlee: The First AMD-Powered Chromebook

Phoronix: Google Kahlee: The First AMD-Powered Chromebook

After years of many Intel and ARM Chromebooks, the first AMD-powered Chromebook appears to be gearing up for release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two m.2 slots in a chromebook?

Either both of them are populated with a wireless card in one and a ssd in the other or this could be a pretty nice upgradable machine.

Looking forward to see how this machine will perform, but I think it's pretty odd that there isn't a AMD chromebook until now. Why would they wait multiple years after excavators release to make a chromebook of it now? Nothing has changed with excavator since its release.

But I'm even more looking forward to see Ryzen chromebooks next year, or if we are lucky late this year!

Comment

Stoney Ridge is actually a fairly big leap in IPC and serial performance for AMD (18% compared to previous gen). It only seems small in light of recent Zen advancements.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        Why would they wait multiple years after excavators release to make a chromebook of it now? Nothing has changed with excavator since its release.
        Stoney is only one Excavator in ultramobile segment... less then year old. Up to date UVD unit, has fast singlethread, but only two cores; supports DDR4 but only single channel... basically it saves power allaround but should be responsive thanks to fast singlethread, blah., blah...
        Last edited by dungeon; 06 April 2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

OMG. I was never so close to buying a Chrombook. This sounds very intriguing. Especially if it should come with some IPS panel and a good keyboard and some peripheral interfaces. Is whatever Chromebooks are running exchangeable? Or could I just have root rights? (iirc. Chrome OS is Gentoo based, isn't it?)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            OMG. I was never so close to buying a Chrombook. This sounds very intriguing.
            Indeed. I actually expected some fairly powerful ARM based Chromebooks by now, but I haven't really seen them. I think some Nvidia Denver based might be the fastest, maybe.

Comment

If it has the same "Enable dev mode > hold keys > wait x seconds" shit that all chromebooks i am aware of have is DOA for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                If it has the same "Enable dev mode > hold keys > wait x seconds" shit that all chromebooks i am aware of have is DOA for me.
                I don't know anything about this. What does it do and why is it bad?

Comment

The deal breaker for me is the lack of F keys on a Chromebook. There is only 11 usable keys in the top of the keyboard. Obviously, I talking about using a conventional distro in one of them.

Comment

Ah, crap. You'd think that Google had enough weight to be able to get ES of Zen-based stuff for their Chromebooks.

Comment

Working...
                    X