No announcement yet.

Google Kahlee: The First AMD-Powered Chromebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone at work semi-forced a chromebook off on me for my work duties. First impression=RAPE who raped linux? Wow, how horrible could you possibly make an OS? This thing is making everything take twice/3 times longer and it keeps doing things I never asked it to do. Someone needs to get the **** slapped out of them. This is the worst excuse of an OS I have ever seen. I would rather have an android tablet with a keyboard than that ****, it's that bad. I have no idea why this Frankenstein BS has any marketshare at all.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
      Someone at work semi-forced a chromebook off on me for my work duties. First impression=RAPE who raped linux? Wow, how horrible could you possibly make an OS? This thing is making everything take twice/3 times longer and it keeps doing things I never asked it to do. Someone needs to get the **** slapped out of them. This is the worst excuse of an OS I have ever seen. I would rather have an android tablet with a keyboard than that ****, it's that bad. I have no idea why this Frankenstein BS has any marketshare at all.
      If you could step out of your petty little existence you would see that Chromebooks are not meant for you but for (school)children, the elderly, those who just need to simply work with Office, Email and the Internet, etc. LIKE +98% OF THE PEOPLE!
      Probably you need to get slapped on you dumb ass to understand this but there is the possibility that you don't have enough intelligence to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by YYYY View Post
        If you could step out of your petty little existence you would see that Chromebooks are not meant for you but for (school)children, the elderly, those who just need to simply work with Office, Email and the Internet, etc. LIKE +98% OF THE PEOPLE!
        This. Most people don't really need more than that anyway.

PCs are horrible, complex monsters that most people must use to do such very basic stuff. Chromebooks offer that without the complexity.

Comment

Fiance's little siblings are console gamers. Consoles taught them that stuff either works or doesn't work and they can't change anything. I upgraded them to a PC with Steam and they promptly installed tons of mods in Skyrim, but they still don't know how to google error messages and stuff having learned helplessness for the first decade+ of their lives.

Everyone who says they shouldn't have to is missing the point that they need to be able to. User empowerment is the purpose of freedom, has been since RMS wanted to fix a printer.

Computers aren't so complicated that a normal person won't be able to understand what's inside and what it broadly does. Neither are cars.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
            Fiance's little siblings are console gamers. Consoles taught them that stuff either works or doesn't work and they can't change anything. I upgraded them to a PC with Steam and they promptly installed tons of mods in Skyrim, but they still don't know how to google error messages and stuff having learned helplessness for the first decade+ of their lives.

Everyone who says they shouldn't have to is missing the point that they need to be able to. User empowerment is the purpose of freedom, has been since RMS wanted to fix a printer.

Computers aren't so complicated that a normal person won't be able to understand what's inside and what it broadly does. Neither are cars.
            Agree but one doesn't have to know or be able to do everything. Society and needs are changing, so are OS's. It's up to the parents to recognize a wider need to 'screw up a device and learn' ;-)
            Meantime, schools are incredible happy and thankful for this unbreakable OS that is cutting maintaining costs sometimes over 80% (!). Also, elderly and forever happily noobs are too because now they've lost the fear of doing something wrong that can break their computer. I've had elderly who never dared to touch a computer but now that I did guarantee the unbreakability they touched it for the first time and happily went on working with it, emailing, hangouts with their grandchildren etc.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
              The point that I was trying to make is that some kinds of devices like for example PCs traditionally (and still now, if a bit less than back then) require ridiculous amounts of babysitting and are not very forgiving. This in turn requires a level of experience/knowledge that most people out there don't have and for some reason can't even get.

Let's get definitions right:
              Freedom isn't being forced to know how every damn thing works so you can babysit it yourself or having to pay someone else to do it. Freedom is the CHOICE to gather that info so you can do MORE, or not, and still be able to operate the device without issues.
              If the printer didn't break as hard as printer usually do still nowadays, RMS would have not need to try to fix it.

Then of course the more you can get youngsters to learn how to operate actual modern technology like PCs and not just retard-proof bullshit like embedded devices, the better. Troubleshooting skills and Googling expertise can be used on anything, and you can bet that they will encounter many, many other devices that will be too complex for their own good, just like PCs.

This level of knowledge is useless, you need to know much more to not be helpless at the first error or issue that crops up or to be safe when browsing the net. Especially if your English is limited so the amount of documentation you can get from the net sucks.

Btw, also cars are well into the electronics realm, now you can't do shit (beyond very basic operations anyway) if you can't connect to the main board and use its diagnostic software to see wtf is wrong with the car.

Comment

Working...
              X