Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish Coming To Sony Xperia Devices, Jala & Inoi R7

Phoronix: Sailfish Coming To Sony Xperia Devices, Jala & Inoi R7

For those curious what's been happening with Jolla/Sailfish, the company put out a recap of their announcements and activities at the recent Mobile World Congress event...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Sailfish Coming To Sony Xperia Devices, Jala & Inoi R7

valled

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...h-MWC-17-Recap
    Typo: meant called

Comment

It's great to see new supported hardware, i only hope that it's a real integration that is supported by Jolla.
      I actually thought that we would see Jolla supported on some of the new Nokia devices but i can use Sony XPeria as well.

Comment

Via Sony's Open Devices Program, they are working together to bring official Sailfish OS support to Sony Xperia smartphones. The first device being targeted is the Sony Xperia X.
        I guess that that means that my Xperia X Compact has a decent chance of being officially supported later, which would be neat. (As it is basically the same phone, just smaller and some extra features like laser auto focus.)
        I'm happy enough with stock Android (Sony stock, not AOSP) right now, but I may be willing to try it when I'm out of warranty.

Comment

Awesome, the worst existing OS will work on the worst existing phones.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

I guess that that means that my Xperia X Compact has a decent chance of being officially supported later, which would be neat. (As it is basically the same phone, just smaller and some extra features like laser auto focus.)
            I'm happy enough with stock Android (Sony stock, not AOSP) right now, but I may be willing to try it when I'm out of warranty.
            Actually, in the world of mobile phones "some extra features like laser auto focus" is quite a big deal. There's no telling if the necessary device drivers for the chip with laser autofocus capability are available.

Comment

Michael, there is a typo
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              XPeria

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
                Awesome, the worst existing OS will work on the worst existing phones.
                fo realz

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

fo realz
                  Yup. I had both the original Jolla phone and Xperia, never more.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Actually, in the world of mobile phones "some extra features like laser auto focus" is quite a big deal. There's no telling if the necessary device drivers for the chip with laser autofocus capability are available.
                    I know, but the two phones being very closely related will give it a better than average chance of being a viable additional supported phone.
                    (Both phones are supported by Sony's AOSP program and use the same camera sensor. A quick search revealed that the Xperia X Compact camera works on AOSP, but needs some more work. I couldn't find any recent information on if the Xperia X camera works, only some old posts stating that it doesn't.)

Comment

Working...
                    X