Raspberry Pi Zero W Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post

Huh, is it really that bad in the US? In Europe, Pimoroni and ThePiHut ship for 4 pound (around 5 USD) to most countries. Not cheap but pretty okay for fast shipping.
    Yeah, I haven't checked recently, but Adafruit wanted $10 for shipping when they first came out. So, I guess that means they marked it up less than the other stuff they sell.

I just checked and they are sold out, but they want $24.50 for a W+8GB uSD card+knock off case. They're sold out, so I have no idea what shipping is.
    Last edited by willmore; 28 February 2017, 01:16 PM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

Forget the over hyped Raspberry Pi bullcrap and just go with any Orange Pi. They are cheap, they ship to everywhere around the globe, they are actually in stock and they can be run with mainline kernel without Broadcom GPU secret sauce bullcrap.

Comment

Originally posted by yturmisil View Post
        Forget the over hyped Raspberry Pi bullcrap and just go with any Orange Pi. They are cheap, they ship to everywhere around the globe, they are actually in stock and they can be run with mainline kernel without Broadcom GPU secret sauce bullcrap.
        You mean bullcrap like actually working WiFi, for instance? Orange Pi Zero WiFi is so broken that it is unusable...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

You mean bullcrap like actually working WiFi, for instance? Orange Pi Zero WiFi is so broken that it is unusable...
          Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The WiFi version has just been announced, for double the price.

Comment

Wholly crap guys, this thread sounds like a bunch of woman whining about the tramp that just moved into town. Seriously get a grip!!!

Here is a thought, if you don't like somebodies shipping and handling charges don't pay em. However whining about shipping and handling just highlights your lack of business sense. It costs real money to ship these devices in single quanities. Now obviously some exploit the poularity of the various PI's but you know what it is a free world shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Other boards are trash because they don't have mainline FOSS drivers.
              Atheros or mediatek wifi router boards? U mad bro?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                People are quick to forget that CHIP exists.
                It's just one of many Allwinner thingies with Mali GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Here is a thought, if you don't like somebodies shipping and handling charges don't pay em. However whining about shipping and handling just highlights your lack of business sense. It costs real money to ship these devices in single quanities.
                  Yeah right. Even on goddamn Aliexpress (china) the bare Raspi zero sells for 26 $. That's basic market logic, not shipping expenses. They see that people buys them even at 20+ $, so why the heck should they charge less?

Raspi supply chain always sucked, all times I wanted to give a try at it I could not find anything with decent prices and I'm not the only one with this issue. Then of course some random people in random places found it for cheapish prices, out of total luck.

Thankfully I never really needed a GPU anyway so I could easily fall back on other stuff like Goflexnet (Kirkwood) or GL-inet mini wifi routers, that for around 20$ give me a full device with casing and PSU too.

Comment

Originally posted by Expectations View Post

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The WiFi version has just been announced, for double the price.
                    The Raspberry Pi Zero W has the same WiFi as the Raspberry Pi 3, which works decent. So it's unlikely that the Zero W WiFi will cause any trouble. Rumor has it that the PCB antenna on the Zero W is actually better than the chip antenna on the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      It's just one of many Allwinner thingies with Mali GPU.
                      Not sure why you mentioned Mali. Mali is a problem with its current driver situation for desktop users and embedded users who want to hook up the system to a proper LCD with decent graphics, but the smallest Zero boards are often being used as sensor beacons etc. People often run them headless. So the issues with a closed GPU are not so huge.

Comment

Working...
                      X