Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism's Librem 13 Coreboot Port Now "100%" Complete

Phoronix: Purism's Librem 13 Coreboot Port Now "100%" Complete

According to Purism's Youness Alaoui, their Coreboot port to the Librem 13 v1 laptop is now considered complete...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just wish Dell would fix coreboot support in their Dell XPS 13 developer laptops that run Ubuntu.

Comment

I'm thrilled Purism is at least trying to do the right thing. I really feared they were just trying to ride the "Libre" wave and shove all dissent under the carpet.

Comment

That's neat. Although I'd prefer to buy an AMD laptop, and they only sell laptops with Intel CPUs. :/

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
          That's neat. Although I'd prefer to buy an AMD laptop, and they only sell laptops with Intel CPUs. :/
          That may change later this year.

Comment

Note that this port requires both the Intel Management Engine and Intel Memory Reference Code binary firmare images to function. Coreboot merely shuffles data to and from these blobs until ramstage is entered; as a result, this coreboot port is much more limited than true native ports for e.g. older AMD systems or ARM machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              Wait, are you saying they will be offering an AMD based ultrabook!? Looking as nice as their current offerings?! I just decided to wait a little bit longer for a new laptop!

Do you have any more informations? Because when you say "this year" it doesn't look like it'l be Ryzen based?

Comment

If MeCleaner supports this machine (no idea if it does) it could be used to strip out most but not all of the management engine blob, leaving just the part used at initialization and taking out the DRM code etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  If MeCleaner supports this machine (no idea if it does) it could be used to strip out most but not all of the management engine blob, leaving just the part used at initialization and taking out the DRM code etc.
                  Even if this could be done, the machine still requires the MRC blob to boot. I have not audited the source further to see if any other blobs are required.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Really? You mean, libre laptops with Ryzen CPUs? Boy, I can't wait!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X