No announcement yet.

Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 2.1, Adds Copy & Paste To The Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were supposed to be The Open Mobile OS, that returns the control to the user. Instead, they're closed source, and they don't even support app permissions to control what apps are doing with user's data. It's time to forget that they have ever existed.

Comment

Did you know that Blackberry's BB10 phones had checkbox permissions by default?

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
        Does Sailfish OS have a command line interface (for root and non-root users)? Are there any other mobile operating systems with CLI?

This is a tutorial how to access terminal window with root privileges on Jolla phone. Go to Settings -> System -&gt ...

You can even add openSUSE ARM repos and install packages from it since it uses a rpm package manager.

Comment

The biggest problem is finding new sailfish devices to buy for the european market..
          Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

But instead we got a proprietary GUI and API. Its more closed than android in many ways. But they got what they wanted, they sweet talked the FOSS community to believe in their lies, then pulled the rug out from beneath them. n fact the FOSS community loves them...... They did such a good job that FOSS websites like Phoronix even advertise for them (cough Michael). Might as well report on iOS too, it has opensource parts too.....

Yet real open source phone OS's Ubuntu Touch are hated by the community, no one gives a shit about Nemo mobile, and Plasma Touch is just a side project with little hope for the future.
          Jolla is one the biggest contributors to Mer if not the biggest that means it also helps Nemo mobile and ubuntu touch use some jolla developed stuff and so on.

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
          Does Sailfish OS have a command line interface (for root and non-root users)? Are there any other mobile operating systems with CLI?
          Yes it has.
          You open a terminal and writes devel-su and your chosen root password.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

But instead we got a proprietary GUI and API. Its more closed than android in many ways. But they got what they wanted, they sweet talked the FOSS community to believe in their lies, then pulled the rug out from beneath them. n fact the FOSS community loves them...... They did such a good job that FOSS websites like Phoronix even advertise for them (cough Michael). Might as well report on iOS too, it has opensource parts too.....

Yet real open source phone OS's Ubuntu Touch are hated by the community, no one gives a shit about Nemo mobile, and Plasma Touch is just a side project with little hope for the future.
            Agree, stop talking about such a proprietary shit until they release the code.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Ahoy all Jolla & Sailfish OS developers, fans, and followers, A new year has again started, and moved fast to the second month. This is my first post as Jolla CEO, and I’d like to give all of you a proper update on last years’ events and what we expect for 2017. Here we go!  …

February 8, 2017 by Sami Pienimäki

Previously we’ve also mentioned that we’re working on the further open sourcing of Sailfish OS. We have now taken the necessary steps and preparations to enable us to further open source Sailfish code, in particular in the areas of apps and UI. We have a decision process ongoing but you should expect exciting news on this during upcoming months.

Comment

I really hope they opensource most of it. I can understand keeping specific HW drivers closed as a licensing requirement, but everything else should be open source. The other exception I could live with (if removable) would be the dalvik VM if they needed some closed source 3rd party pieces to make it work good.

On the other hand even now it's the closest to a linux on any phone I ever had. You can just rpm install whatever, it has the correct structure (unlike android) and I like the UI.

I really wish they could get out of the hole they dug up for themselves and get back on track with the OS. Make it more open, make it easy to port and HW will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by faildozer View Post
                  Instead of it being its own thing, I wish it would merge with another one of these android spinoffs, like MIUI. I think it'd be awesome for another big company like Xiaomi to merge with Jolla so we can have a version of android that has a great UI instead of just a good one.
                  YES! Oh that would be sweet. Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime owner here.

Comment

Yes. Why should there be just one trustworthy Finnish/European mobile OS when we could have yet another dodgy Chinese conglomerate buying it out. Sweet.

Comment

YES! I'd love to update my phone, I've been waiting for copy-paste from the browser... but I currently don't have a working Sailfish device. Dropped my first one down a set of stairs a year or so ago, and threw the second into a wall a couple weeks ago. Oh well, I should get yet another Sailfish device in about a month - an Intex Aqua Fish this time, rather than a Jolla 1 which the earlier two were.

Comment

Working...
                      X