Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 2.1, Adds Copy & Paste To The Browser

Phoronix: Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 2.1, Adds Copy & Paste To The Browser

Ahead of Mobile World Congress (MWC17) happening later this month, Jolla has released Sailfish OS 2.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly i don't see these people having a chance in hell. First off my interest in Jolla was the result of the possibility of a good and unlocked tablet system. We all know what happened there. Second they really should have focused on 64 bit hardware, by the time this OS gets to a shippable state 64 bit support will be mandatory.

The reason Jolla was interesting is the idea of an open OS, the freedom to create and distribute apps at will and the ability to actually use I/O in any way you could want. For me anyway a licked down iPhone is a good thing, a locked down tablet is a very bad thing. I just dont see a viable solution out there.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Sadly i don't see these people having a chance in hell. First off my interest in Jolla was the result of the possibility of a good and unlocked tablet system. We all know what happened there. Second they really should have focused on 64 bit hardware, by the time this OS gets to a shippable state 64 bit support will be mandatory.

The reason Jolla was interesting is the idea of an open OS, the freedom to create and distribute apps at will and the ability to actually use I/O in any way you could want. For me anyway a licked down iPhone is a good thing, a locked down tablet is a very bad thing. I just dont see a viable solution out there.
      64bit is in the works and most likely to be announced at MWC. Also what stops you from making apps?? If you don't like the limitations of the Jolla store there is also OpenRepos.

Comment

My main grievance is that the available SFOS hardware is very limited, I still use my first generation Jolla. I don't think I heard of the Jolla C until way after it had been fully sold out and the Intex AquaFish might be a bit tricky to import into Europe. *shrug*

I still think the user interface is far more usable than the big openly user-hostile alternatives…

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          The reason Jolla was interesting is the idea of an open OS, the freedom to create and distribute apps at will and the ability to actually use I/O in any way you could want.
          But instead we got a proprietary GUI and API. Its more closed than android in many ways. But they got what they wanted, they sweet talked the FOSS community to believe in their lies, then pulled the rug out from beneath them. n fact the FOSS community loves them...... They did such a good job that FOSS websites like Phoronix even advertise for them (cough Michael). Might as well report on iOS too, it has opensource parts too.....

Yet real open source phone OS's Ubuntu Touch are hated by the community, no one gives a shit about Nemo mobile, and Plasma Touch is just a side project with little hope for the future.

Comment

I have a post in auto-mod.

Comment

The thing that bothers me is, there is no hardware (that I'm aware of). Didn't they discontinue the phone they were building? What is this meant to be run on these days?

Comment

I wonder they could target a few select models of the most widely sold flagshipey handsets of yesteryear, models with hardware that can be supported but are going be unsupported by the manufacturer/service provider, and sell multi-year Jolla port packages for those?

OK I admit to knowing nothing about how these things really work, but I see lot of recent and decent handsets around that never see the latest Android versions or even security updates and the hobbyist "ROM" arena isn't really an option for most people.

Would enough people go for refurb or 2nd hand handsets and pay for annual Jolla/Sailfish subscriptions?

Comment

Instead of it being its own thing, I wish it would merge with another one of these android spinoffs, like MIUI. I think it'd be awesome for another big company like Xiaomi to merge with Jolla so we can have a version of android that has a great UI instead of just a good one.

Comment

Does Sailfish OS have a command line interface (for root and non-root users)? Are there any other mobile operating systems with CLI?

Comment

Working...
                    X