There's Now A KDE-Branded Laptop Running Neon With Plasma 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
    Oh nice. A system running KDE Neon out of the box. This will have interesting security and stability implications. Right from the KDE Neon FAQ:

https://neon.kde.org/faq
    It's Kubuntu LTS with the latest Qt and KDE on top and with KDE software preinstalled. Where exactly do you see "security and stability implications"?

Comment

Although I am a KDE fan who rarely encounters crashes, I can admit it is far from top pick of stability.
      Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      Yeah let's just face it.. the Linux Desktop and "doesn't crash" is an oxymoron, be it KDE, GNome or XFCE. I've experienced spectacular crashes with every single one.
      Just curious but how did you manage to break your system so bad that XFCE crashed, let alone "spectacularly"?

Comment

Too expensive. And 13.3" screen really? Usable only if you constantly carry it around and need maximum possible portability, otherwise too small.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Although I am a KDE fan who rarely encounters crashes, I can admit it is far from top pick of stability.

Just curious but how did you manage to break your system so bad that XFCE crashed, let alone "spectacularly"?
          "Crashing" in a sense that the desktop is completely unusable. XFCE is the worst offender of all 3. I'll just name 2 that I experienced in the past 2 weeks:

1. Session randomly logged out on me 2 times for no apparent reason, all work lost (I guess a crash?). Chances seem to be higher if a second monitor is plugged in.

2. Having youtube video playing in the background in FF when working in Eclipse or some other program has like 25% chance of corrupting the whole desktop. Taskbar icons dissapear and redraw if you go over with your mouse. A broken X screen lock renders in the middle of the screen, around it is the focused program but with half of things missing. Mininimizing and maximizing the program gets rid of it for a few seconds but ultimately youtube video has to be turned off or tab in FF changed. It is really something to see, I'll take a photo the next time it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Too expensive. And 13.3" screen really? Usable only if you constantly carry it around and need maximum possible portability, otherwise too small.
            13.3" is totally fine as long as you have an external monitor for work which you probably do. When you come home and lay on your couch, 13.3" is a godsend.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              "Crashing" in a sense that the desktop is completely unusable. XFCE is the worst offender of all 3. I'll just name 2 that I experienced in the past 2 weeks:
              Sounds like a hardware or config issue to me. I use XFCE at work with multiple monitors, and I can have both Chrome and Firefox play videos at the same time without the slightest hint of failure. I used to use closed-source Nvidia drivers and I'm currently using radeonsi for this same setup.

@Cerebrus
              13.3" is too small? What nonsense. I suppose you carry an iPad with you to make phone calls? It's a laptop - it's meant to be portable. Practically, 13.3" is the absolute maximum size for the average laptop user. Anything bigger and it isn't so portable anymore, or you'd otherwise be better off using a desktop. Of course there are exceptions, which is why I said "average user".

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                Concerning the price : it is exactly in range of same laptops in EU

13'3 is really a good intermediate size because you can meeting/travel with it easily and get it on your monitor at work/home.
                This is the size Apple sells the most laptops and, like them or not, they sometimes have bright ideas.

More important : 13" are the only models you can take a plane with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Sounds like a hardware or config issue to me. I use XFCE at work with multiple monitors, and I can have both Chrome and Firefox play videos at the same time without the slightest hint of failure. I used to use closed-source Nvidia drivers and I'm currently using radeonsi for this same setup.

@Cerebrus
                  13.3" is too small? What nonsense. I suppose you carry an iPad with you to make phone calls? It's a laptop - it's meant to be portable. Practically, 13.3" is the absolute maximum size for the average laptop user. Anything bigger and it isn't so portable anymore, or you'd otherwise be better off using a desktop. Of course there are exceptions, which is why I said "average user".
                  As portable as 13.3" may be, I find that size to be absolutely horrible as far as usability goes. No way I'd ever look at an IDE on a monitor that small.
                  It's not even big enough for web browsing. At that size text is too small. And if you turn dpi scaling up, you have so little space, you're always scrolling/panning.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    As portable as 13.3" may be, I find that size to be absolutely horrible as far as usability goes. No way I'd ever look at an IDE on a monitor that small.
                    It's not even big enough for web browsing. At that size text is too small. And if you turn dpi scaling up, you have so little space, you're always scrolling/panning.
                    If you have eye problems or a resolution below 720p then I can understand that, but I have comfortably used PCs with 10.1" screens for several hours in one sitting (keyboards, on the other hand...). I have also done several hours worth of programming on a 13.3" screen. Most tablets have smaller screens; considering their popularity and primary purpose (web browsing), I would argue 13.3" is not too small for that.
                    This is coming from someone with 2x 20" displays at work and a 32" display for a gaming PC that is maybe 2 feet away from my face.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 January 2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
                      Weird business model. Marketting a product advertising that it's software doesn't crash.
                      a lot of people experience window crashing.

Comment

Working...
                      X