Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Now A KDE-Branded Laptop Running Neon With Plasma 5

Phoronix: There's Now A KDE-Branded Laptop Running Neon With Plasma 5

For KDE fans not interested in setting up a KDE-based Linux distribution on your own laptop and worrying about potential graphics driver bugs with Plasma or other possible headaches, there is now a "KDE laptop" backed by the KDE community...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...limbook-Laptop

About the high price: Here in Spain computers are expensive compared to US and some other countries. Not only because of the 1:1 EUR-USD rate but also because of the distribution and regulations, and the company is from Spain and I guess their aim is on Europe

Comment

Originally posted by alvararo View Post
      About the high price: Here in Spain computers are expensive compared to US and some other countries. Not only because of the 1:1 EUR-USD rate but also because of the distribution and regulations, and the company is from Spain and I guess their aim is on Europe
      VAT is also upwards of 10% in EU (24% in some countries), while 10% is about the upper limit in US.

Comment

Oh nice. A system running KDE Neon out of the box. This will have interesting security and stability implications. Right from the KDE Neon FAQ:

Is it a distro?

Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. While we have installable images, unlike full Linux distributions we're only interested in KDE software.
        https://neon.kde.org/faq

Comment

Great news! Seems a pretty good product slim & modern and ofc... love the "metal pinguin" logo.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
            Oh nice. A system running KDE Neon out of the box. This will have interesting security and stability implications. Right from the KDE Neon FAQ:
            https://neon.kde.org/faq
            Yup, that's a "KDE only" distro and it is damn good and fast/reactive. This kind of product will put a positive pressure on the project.

Comment

Weird business model. Marketting a product advertising that it's software doesn't crash.

Comment

For me KDE Neon broke after installing some programs and updating like i do with every other Debian based system.
                It was a nice showcase for what a up to date KDE Desktop looks like but I soon gave up on using it.
                No hard feelings, because I got exactly what was advertised.

What I wonder is, if the above mentioned limitations have been ironed out for this preloaded systems?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
                  For me KDE Neon broke after installing some programs and updating like i do with every other Debian based system.
                  It was a nice showcase for what a up to date KDE Desktop looks like but I soon gave up on using it.
                  No hard feelings, because I got exactly what was advertised.

What I wonder is, if the above mentioned limitations have been ironed out for this preloaded systems?
                  Neon now has a "User-LTS" edition, in addition the normal "User" edition. My guess is they'll likely use the former. At any rate, I love the idea and if I can get one shipped to the US, I'll consider it.

Comment

Yeah let's just face it.. the Linux Desktop and "doesn't crash" is an oxymoron, be it KDE, GNome or XFCE. I've experienced spectacular crashes with every single one.

Comment

Working...
                    X