Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tablet Project Fails, Less Than $7k In Orders

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tablet Project Fails, Less Than $7k In Orders

With the Talos Secure Workstation not set to hit its goal, I was curious this morning about how the MJ Technology's openSUSE-powered "First True Linux x86 and x64 Tablet" was doing, but that too has failed to materialize...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope for AMD Ryzen tablets with decent driver support - we can ignore Intel concerning tablets, I think.

Comment

funding like this will never work. The masses just want shit that works and at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        funding like this will never work. The masses just want shit that works and at a good price.
        FYI: These tablets worked fine (just like any other intel-based UEFI tablet anyway) and had a very competitive price.

Comment

Tablets seem to be dying anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            FYI: These tablets worked fine (just like any other intel-based UEFI tablet anyway) and had a very competitive price.
            Yeah but who cares what brand it is unless you are an apple hipster. Nobody knows what "openSUSE" is.(ok maybe 1% of the people).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              perhaps next will be an Arch tablet?
              Please don't make fun with Arch. The project fails because nobody care about a GNU/Linux tablet.
              A tablet powered by a specific GNU/Linux distro has too little chances to become popular, that's all.

Comment

Actually, I am one of those who'd like to have an all-Linux-OpenSource-tablet and/or phone and are happy to pay for it (even a little more than for a mainstream device). But after all these disappointments in the last years in that area (granted, I still haven't given up on my Jolla phone yet), I'm no longer willing to jump into to the water and finance the next failing project. That's probably not the best approach for progress, but I paid already enough. So, show something nice and keep it running for a year or two and then I'll jump onto the waggon again.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                  Tablets seem to be dying anyway.
                  #1 reason IMO. No techhies / geek buy tablets nowadays, they are back to real computer.

So basically this can only aim at masses and they do not crowfound at all...
                  Now I am a little disappointed because an Opensuse tablet would be a wonderful product by itself.

Comment

Linux tablet has no chance to succeed until linux desktop succeeds. Having in mind issues regarding wifi/network, graphics (acceleration), multimedia support, external (multi) monitor setup, ease of use, etc. I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Article outlying the critical components required for the perfect Linux desktop, focusing on hardware and software lifecycle and support, cost, ownership, applications, desktop integration, the future, and more

Second article discussing the alarming, rising trend in the lack of acceptance of criticism and feedback on technological issues in the Linux community, most notably the clear trend of deterioration in quality across the majority of distributions in recent years

We have android/iOS tablets used mostly for fun (mobile games, multimedia) and windows tablets that could be used for more serious office/work tasks (Surface Pro). I don't see where linux tablet would fit in this market, though I would be happy to have one.

Comment

Working...
                    X