No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Tablet Project Fails, Less Than $7k In Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, when the first kickstarter campain for x86 Ubuntu tablet was launched, it was priced more or less the same as similar Windows tablets. The thing is (at least what I think) - Windows is more suitable for tablet mode, but Linux (KDE) has no true competitor in desktop mode when it comes to DE possibilities

Android/iPad are great for fun, but todays tablets (even smartphones) are powerfull enough to repalce PC in various home/office tasks. Currently, only Windows can offer good experience in both tablet and PC mode (iPad pro, Pixel, etc are limeted to ARM and without support for x86 programs they can't be all-in-one device). Linux could do that too, but not at this moment. And I think by the time Linux tablets are good enough, competitors will offer much better solutions than they do today

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
      I'm not saying I need tablet for CAD, CFD or something. I was talking about usability when it comes to simple things like multimedia, office, fun... Hardware is not that important, it's the user experience what matters the most in this segment
      What I'm saying, is that this is also true on desktop/laptop.

The main issue of linux on tablets is that it lacks something remotely resembling a decent touch-oriented and coherent UI, GNOME for example is decent and touch-oriented, but most linux applications are not so it's when you go outside of GNOME apps you're screwed.

Comment

Currently, only Windows can offer good experience in both tablet and PC mode (iPad pro, Pixel, etc are limeted to ARM and without support for x86 programs they can't be all-in-one device).
        True.
        Linux could do that too, but not at this moment. And I think by the time Linux tablets are good enough, competitors will offer much better solutions than they do today
        Nah, don't underestimate MS's expertise in sitting on their asses. That's why Linux managed to eventually catch up with the desktop UIs. Same will happen with tablet UIs.

Comment

I am using $200 Windows 10 tablet (Atom, 2GB RAM)
          Tablet with Windows 10 and Atom ... I wonder how many more losing technologies you can pack into one product?

Is it 32-bit as well?

Comment

My experience of trying to run Linux on a tablet containing a Baytrail SoC has ultimately a big waste of time, the device has never been stable. There's a huge long running kernel bugzilla thread about kernel cstates, where people with the same hardware report very different levels of satisfaction.

Although I was very interested in the openSuse tablet, I was holding out until I could be certain it was going to be a pleasant experience, and also wouldn't have bought it without the keyboard dock being available.

Comment

Working...
            X