Lineage: Forking CyanogenMod To A New Android Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    cheap/disposable, I like the UI, colorful chassis, safer (in the sense that only a retard would even think about targeting winphone with malware), gets updates for a long time, is tailored to the hardware far better than the average Android, has exactly 0 resale value so it's not a target for thieves.

Main downside was that I couldn't root it (now it is possible), and that would have relegated it as a pure communication device for untrusted bullshit (work calls, watsapp with idiots, and the like). Lack of sd card and other features became irrelevant because of that, was not going to trust it with my actual stuff anyway.

Now that they can be rooted, if CM and this Lineage project go to hell (I hope not, but even CM was meh), I don't have much choice left.

Apple is way too high price for the price I'm ok with paying for what is a disposable device, and waaay too high used resale price. Last thing I want from a communication device is to be a thief magnet like Apple stuff.
    Also their security has traditionally been meh, and they are a target for malware, just like Android (less usebase but more $$$ to steal).

My current smartphone is a Karbonn Sparkle V (android One program, so it is supported by Cyanogenmod, and it is of course running CM), it basically is a chinese OEM phone whose stock firmware and updates come straight from Google (and Google released sources), I could leave it on a table for a week and none would touch it.

No, I just know that Android outside of Google devices is a trainwreck for people that need security and longevity sucks ass even in Google devices, go figure for the others.

Now there is a second wave of Android One devices and quite a bit smallish companies like Wileyfox that ship devices with CM on them and release sources so they have also upstream CM support.

If Lineage flies, I'm probably remaining on Android.
    I've been using a Lumia 950XL for about a year now with Win10 and I couldn't be happier. Had lots of stupid issues with previous android devices, including poor battery life. I am sure a ton of people on here will be like did you do X Y or Z or did you flash this or that... I'm happy with a phone that just works, and works well. Replaced my girlfriend and moms android phones with 950's as well and they love it. I've had win7 and win8 phones in the past but win10 is a very nice improvement.

So many people I know say lots of stupid shit about how horrible it is and how there is no apps, they don't realize that unlike Android you don't need 15 apps installed just to make it usable and all the most popular apps are there. I say don't knock it until you've actually tried to use one for a few days, unless you are a diehard android fanboy you definitely won't want to go back. HP has a really cool dock for the HP Elite x3 is essentially a laptop docking station, you slide your phone into it and it turns into laptop via continuum mode. Pricey tho, but still pretty neat.

You can also jailbreak them so you can login via ssh and get a normal cmd.exe prompt to mess around (Need build 14000+ for that)

Comment

Here they don't take you seriously they know you use Linux, even the "server admins" prefer Windows (mostly because they are too dumb to use command line).
      Strange place

Comment

Originally posted by alokhan View Post
        Strange place
        The company I work for does IT administration and similar tasks for small and medium companies. The PCs and servers of these companies are all on windows, the only outliers are those that dream of having a Mac, or those that have a Mac for no real reason (artists, webdesigners and similar).

Comment

Asus's UI is pretty cool and light though (it is also available as app on the store), and others like Motorola basically ship AOSP with little modifications.
          Afaik Samsung is, unexpectedly, the main offender, with Sony close second, if we disregard Xiaomi and other chinese OEMs.
          +1

Works even on Android-x86, only issue seems to be not working too well in a Landscape screen mode. On a phone it's surprisingly pleasing.
          Samsung's TouchWiz must be the worst ever..

Comment

Working...
          X