No announcement yet.

Ubuntu OTA-14 Released, Fixes A Number Of Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Ubuntu phone must bet for CHEAP devices as the 50 USD phone Sailfish is selling in India, and for Tv boxes too (android is worse than openelec emulators work better (full screen) and there are not many Android games).

Probably they can add android games compatibility if that is a market issue.

Or it will be sailfish the Linux based OS that will succeed (already forked - with license - by Russia gov and probably China one) not only in "the other" phones but also in "the other" TVs
    Last edited by mitcoes; 09 December 2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
      They have quite low profile on it, but since I actally have a device with UT I can tell you that on the desktop side of things also only "apps" will run. Every program you want to run has to be first adapted, recompiled and repackaged as a snap app. The entire apt-get system is diabled and if you hack it open again it breaks the entire system and system updates are no longer possible.
      There might very well be good technical reasons for this, but just as much it is also Canocial who is trying to push their snap based app-store.
      So this isn't accurate?

You can now install any Ubuntu desktop app to use on your Ubuntu phone or tablet when a mouse and keyboard are connected. We have introduced a smart new solution to allow access to the many more desktop applications residing in the Ubuntu archive. Conventional Debian packages will also work. This solution uses the Command […]

Comment

Ahh, yeah the new libertine transition layer sort of thing, more or less forgot about that one. The link you posted is not inaccurate, but the real details are omitted. See the details in the linked post: http://kylenubuntu.blogspot.de/2016/...u-devices.html
        Scroll down a bit and you see how complicated things get, and basically you are creating a small chroot VM for each app...not exactly the best thing to do on systems that are already memory and CPU power limited....
        Last edited by Julius; 10 December 2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X