No announcement yet.

Jolla Experiments With A Sailfish OS Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest problem is finding devices that ships with Sailfish OS.
    I like my Jolla JP-1301 like i like my N9 and Andriod doesn't fit my needs.
    I want to see more Sailfish OS supported devices that i can buy that has official support.
    If there only where a good Sailfish OS smartphone available i would buy it today.

Comment

Jolla needs HW (phone). This is the biggest problem now. Cool demo and all but wearables are going nowhere.

Comment

You can take an android phone and start porting :-P
        I doubt they'll ever release a newer phone. The plan was clearly to focus on sw. They are still looking for hardware partners, though.
        Which is kinda sad. I liked the Jolla phone hardware design, I definitely would have bought the tablet. But they can't afford competing in this business.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
          You can take an android phone and start porting :-P
          I doubt they'll ever release a newer phone. The plan was clearly to focus on sw. They are still looking for hardware partners, though.
          Which is kinda sad. I liked the Jolla phone hardware design, I definitely would have bought the tablet. But they can't afford competing in this business.
          Now that 64 bit hw is going to be supported by libhybris i am thinking of grabbing a Sony xperia Z5 compact once every piece of SW is in place. As for jolla i don't like the HW design of the phone. It doesn't feel right to the hand and it is big. Sailfish OS however offers the best UI/UX of any smartphone at the moment. The only reason i didn't buy a tablet was that i was waiting for it to hit the normal store.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            He means Smartwatches will become self-sufficient devices (and finally make sense) eventually, but not in the near future.

Yeah, because SmartTVs are smart too, right?
            Anyway, here is why https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_device

Although usually small in size, smart devices typically have the computing power of a few gigabytes.
            The above sentence is comedic gold, but helps convey the target of such "smart" devices.
            This is where I cannot disagree more, there is nothing "Smart" in sending an image by blutooth. If it is, then the Wii U Game Pad is Power-HighTech-Einstein.
            But I understand that "remotely-controlled" will not sell a lot.

All this sh*tty marketing reminds me about the "Internet 2.0" hype a few years ago... Wow, that one was a nice joke too.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              This is where I cannot disagree more, there is nothing "Smart" in sending an image by blutooth. If it is, then the Wii U Game Pad is Power-HighTech-Einstein.
              But I understand that "remotely-controlled" will not sell a lot.

All this sh*tty marketing reminds me about the "Internet 2.0" hype a few years ago... Wow, that one was a nice joke too.
              Meh, I'm just pointing out that the Smart-something naming convention was done by idiots as usual.

Really, smart devices typically have the computing power of a few gigabytes man, how could you not understand what a smart device is, lol?

Comment

Meh, I'm just pointing out that the Smart-something naming convention was done by idiots as usual.

Really, smart devices typically have the computing power of a few gigabytes man, how could you not understand what a smart device is, lol?
                Nah I do not, because a gigabyte is far too much for my own smartnessation. I only can make 1 simple operation per minute ya know (2 if they are additions TBH)

I used to talk to my SmartAss, but considering his computing power I feel ashamed now...

Comment

Wrong, open source is about license AND code, not just "I can see the code and patch it in devices shipped with it".
                  Well, my fault, I should have mentioned that - like RMS - I make a distinction between :
                  • Free/Libre software
                    (what the GPL and other such copyleft licenses strive to guarantee)
                    (my personal favourite)...
                  • ...and what corporations tend to call Opensource
                    (which basically boils down to "here's the source, you do have access to it. but don't come asking about these pesky freedom")
                    (there's a reason why RMS doesn't approve this term)
                    (and personally, although it's not my favourite situation - the GPL is - it's still okay by me as long that access to source enables a striving community of modders and hackers

By having the source code being viewable by the end-users (for the simple reason that it's written in scripts and declarative languages), systems like Jolla Sailfish OS now and Palm/HP WebOS before them come close enough by me to the 2nd case.
                  They are absolutely not Copyleft (there are no guaranteed freedoms like on GNU software under GPL), but they more or less look like what corporations call Opensource and are modable, and get modded the shit out of them as the impressive amount of patches available for Sailfish OS (and webOS) can attest.

Please note, I can patch closed source blobs too, in games it is called "modding", for ROMs or disk images it's also doable to some extent
                  (Note that a tremendous majority of game mods do not actually patch extensively the binary code (the code sent to the CPU), but mostly mod game data files (new textures, new 3D models, other such assets) and maybe the game script (often plain text, sometimes simple bytecode). Of the rest most of the binary code patches are usually cracks and trainer which basically just 0x90 (=NOP) a few key strategic jumps/calls in the .EXE)

Well you're a cyborg. (And I've a bit of binary patching too). But that's not something extremely frequent in the hacker communities.

As I said above, the thing that interests me is to have a vibrant community that extensively modifies and customises software: when the software is opensource (As per RMS' definition) or very close to opensource, you can at least find a lot of interesting patches and developments.
                  When there are only a couple geniuses that can mod binary-only executable files, that's far from the "big striving community of hackers/patchedrs/modders" that I want.

Not the same thing as open source.
                  Nope, indeed, opensource as defined both by corporations and RMS himself is all bout the source being visible. Not about people patching binary code.

And I stand my point: as the content of the non-copyleft parts of Sailfish OS (the interface) are mostly written in (human -readable/-editable) QML and Javascript, it's very close to corporations' and RMS' concept of "opensource". They are definitely not closed-source (the source code isn't hidden, it's there on the device's eMMC, I can *and did* edit it if desired). Even if not copyleft (there is no license like GPL that will guarantee my ability to study/modify the code, so it doesn't quality for the RMS' definition of Free/Libre)

Comment

Working...
                  X