X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post

Exactly. Why should Apple waste a brain cell on Linux support?
    Why should I waste a single dollar on supporting Apple employees or shareholders ?

Leave a comment:

• woprandi
    replied
    I recommand Thinkpad T series (especially 14") :
    - Very good Linux support
    - Nice build quality
    - Pretty thin and light but still with HDMI / ethernet / SD reader...
    - Customizable
    - Fairly easy to replace units
    - 3 years warranty

Leave a comment:

• shiftyphil
    replied
    Originally posted by patstew View Post

Actually, you can't. The USB standard says that you must supply 5V and optionally 12V and/or 20V over USB-C. Of those options, Apple chose 14.5V. Because they're Apple.
    You might want to check the current revision of the power delivery spec, not revision 1.

Leave a comment:

• shiftyphil
    replied
    Originally posted by patstew View Post

Actually, you can't. The USB standard says that you must supply 5V and optionally 12V and/or 20V over USB-C. Of those options, Apple chose 14.5V.
    You might want to check the current revision of the power delivery spec, not revision 1.

Leave a comment:

• thet
    replied
    I'm a MacBook Air with Fedora user on a 2011 model and have waited for the new MacBook Pro to replace the old one. Well, obviously the dealbreaker is the missing Linux compatibility. That's sad, because
    Apple laptops generally have an awesome build quality, which counts a lot for me. Although, it's embarrasing if they really use an off-the-standard current in their USB C power supply.

Now I've got the new Lenovo Yoga 910 with powerful internals, and I'm happy with it.

BUT: Apples new butterfly mechanism keyboard on the MacBook Pro (but not on the MacBook) is AMAZING (I tried it)! It's a matter of taste, but in my opinion it's the best keyboard I've written on so far. Very little travel space, which makes it easy to type while having a very well defined click feedback, when the buttons was pressed. That alone would be worth a switch to the MacBook Pro, if it would support Linux...

Thanks for the review!

Leave a comment:

• thet
    replied
    I'm a MacBook Air with Fedora user on a 2011 mode and have waited for the new MacBook Pro to replace my old. Well, obviously the dealbreaker is the missing Linux compatibility. That's sad, because

Apple laptops generally have an awesome build quality, which counts a lot for me since I'm using the laptop as my main machine all day, for many years.

Leave a comment:

• SilverMachine
    replied
    It's normal that new hardware doesn't work well with Linux immediately. So it doesn't surprise me this laptop doesn't like Linux, yet. Give it a few months and it'll get better. Linux simply doesn't have much vendors delivering drivers for Linux. That's why...

Leave a comment:

• patstew
    replied
    Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post

I can't agree fully. The charger now is a blessing. Apart from that the Magsafe was awesome, now with USB-C chargers, it's finally the same situation as with mobile phones that you can charge with any other vendors charger (and for the laptops Apple is even included). Dell XPS can also already be charged via USB-C.

But the deal breakers are now the soldered SSD, price point, touchbar and Linux compatibility... For my part, I used to buy Macbooks for their 16:10 screen and battery life. Now i guess the down sides are bigger then the ups...
    Actually, you can't. The USB standard says that you must supply 5V and optionally 12V and/or 20V over USB-C. Of those options, Apple chose 14.5V. Because they're Apple. All other laptops will use the standard 20V option, because that gives you most power. So a Macbook charger won't charge other laptops, and other laptop chargers won't charge a Macbook. And in the few cases where they do work it's very low power models that can run and charge very slowly on the 5V option.

Leave a comment:

• balouba
    replied
    Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post

I can't agree fully. The charger now is a blessing. Apart from that the Magsafe was awesome, now with USB-C chargers, it's finally the same situation as with mobile phones that you can charge with any other vendors charger (and for the laptops Apple is even included). Dell XPS can also already be charged via USB-C.
    Why not both?

Dell XPS has a dedicated charging port and you can also charge with USB-C. A magsafe port and being also able to charge with USB-C would be awesomer. And having an sdcard reader and regular USB ports *cough*.

Personally I tried the new macbook at work and indeed, its a very nicely made machine - but theres just too many design choices that makes my life harder, even when running macosx. Pretty happy with the XPS on Linux actually... just wishing USB-C+intel graphics support improves a bit for multi display.

Leave a comment:

• labyrinth153
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Oh, boo hoo. It's designed for OS X/macOS and Bootcamp.
    Exactly. Why should Apple waste a brain cell on Linux support? The door is open if some wants to write drivers for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X