Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro & Linux Don't Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sverris View Post

Well, this 'nice design' is entirely superficial. Just look f.i. at the crippled arrow keys and the crappy chargers. And the touch bar is imo plain stupid, because you cannot use it 'blind'. And what about repair and what about hardware upgrades and what about compatibility with external hardware...? Such aspects are part of really good design, and Apple neglects them.
    I can't agree fully. The charger now is a blessing. Apart from that the Magsafe was awesome, now with USB-C chargers, it's finally the same situation as with mobile phones that you can charge with any other vendors charger (and for the laptops Apple is even included). Dell XPS can also already be charged via USB-C.

But the deal breakers are now the soldered SSD, price point, touchbar and Linux compatiblity... For my part, I bought Macbooks for the 16:10 screen and battery life

Comment

In other news: Shitty hardware is shit.

An expert commented: After much investigation we have determined that proprietary crap, is both proprietary and crap.
      Last edited by carewolf; 01 December 2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

Well, this 'nice design' is entirely superficial. Just look f.i. at the crippled arrow keys and the crappy chargers. And the touch bar is imo plain stupid, because you cannot use it 'blind'. And what about repair and what about hardware upgrades and what about compatibility with external hardware...? Such aspects are part of really good design, and Apple neglects them.
        I can't agree fully. The charger now is a blessing. Apart from that the Magsafe was awesome, now with USB-C chargers, it's finally the same situation as with mobile phones that you can charge with any other vendors charger (and for the laptops Apple is even included). Dell XPS can also already be charged via USB-C.

But the deal breakers are now the soldered SSD, price point, touchbar and Linux compatibility... For my part, I used to buy Macbooks for their 16:10 screen and battery life. Now i guess the down sides are bigger then the ups...

Comment

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post

because they are the LAST vendor that offers a 16:10 screen! Am I the only one who misses vertical space at a 13" 16:9 laptop?
          probaly because 16:10 are stupid, we don't need more vertical space but more horizontal we scroll things from up to down not from left to right

Comment

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post

But the deal breakers are now the soldered SSD, price point, touchbar and Linux compatibility... For my part, I used to buy Macbooks for their 16:10 screen and battery life. Now i guess the down sides are bigger then the ups...
            mor battery life? it's a myth young man

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

probaly because 16:10 are stupid, we don't need more vertical space but more horizontal we scroll things from up to down not from left to right
              Most websites (like even here) and applications barely make use of the given horizontal space as is. More vertical == less scrolling. 16:10 was the standard widescreen for computers until TVs went for 16:9 - and way more TVs than monitors are sold, so computer monitors got rolled to 16:9 as it was much cheaper an "efficient" for companies to produce just screens at a single aspect ration. 16:10 is and will always be the superior format for computer monitors.

Comment

mor battery life? it's a myth young man
                Well, couple of years ago there didn't exist a single laptop that you could just type on for 3 hours, close the lid, open it again 3 days later and keep typing on that same charge. Don't know how the situation is now. Only thing I know is with identical hardware, linux draws my macbooks battery twice as fast 'old man

Comment

Right. How about getting a 99:10 screen like the new Macbooks touchbar? You can still scroll vertically...

Comment

The wifi chip seems supported by the kernel for quite some time now.
                    Do we know which device is the new display bar?

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                      Most websites (like even here) and applications barely make use of the given horizontal space as is. More vertical == less scrolling. 4:3 was the standard screen for computers until TVs went for 16:9 - and way more TVs than monitors are sold, so computer monitors got rolled to 16:9 as it was much cheaper an "efficient" for companies to produce just screens at a single aspect ration. 4:3 is and will always be the superior format for computer monitors.
                      Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X