Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maru OS 0.3 Released: Android + Debian

Phoronix: Maru OS 0.3 Released: Android + Debian

Maru OS, the open-source operating system providing a Debian desktop from your Android smartphone that's been making progress since being announced early this year, released version 0.3 of their OS stack this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's ways closer to convergence than Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
      And it was developed by a single guy in his freetime.

Comment

Hmm, this is basically lxc containers running on top of Android https://github.com/maruos/maruos
        "It uses lightweight OS virtualization (containers) to spin up virtual systems on demand, and provides a bridge into Android's I/O framework for interactivity."

Which makes this project VERY interesting for other uses too.

Like running Android inside Android for example, to keep bullshit apps you must have because reasons and Play store in the container and your actual stuff in the host Android (Cyanogenmod or AOSP or whatever) where all private/secure apps stay.

I suspect that this is the approach of the "most secure Android Phone" aka the Blackphone 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
          Technically speaking, no. It's two operating systems sharing a kernel thanks to advanced virtualization features in Linux.

The concept of convergence is to use the same OS with the same apps in both smartphone and PC by changing the user interface only, and you can't do that here.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

And it was developed by a single guy in his freetime.
            Nothing new here in my opinion. There will not be any breakthrough in developing open mobile OSes with a decent hardware support until OEMs open up their drivers at least. I am not even talking about device firmware here.

E.g. look at this https://developers.google.com/android/drivers: there are only blobs for "GPS, Audio, Camera, Gestures, Graphics, DRM, Video, Sensors" - no source code. Then if you read https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...i_nonsense.txt, it is clear that compiling a custom kernel is problematic - you are pretty much stuck at the version of kernel module binaries provided by vendors.

Maru, as I see it, allows you to run an lxc container with Debian user space inside - that's it:
            Your phone is your PC. Contribute to maruos/maruos development by creating an account on GitHub.

"To be more precise, Maru is an operating system that enables interactive virtual environments on Android. It's based on the Android Open Source Project and focuses on mobile hardware. It uses lightweight OS virtualization (containers) to spin up virtual systems on demand, and provides a bridge into Android's I/O framework for interactivity."

What Canonical does with Ubuntu phone? Same thing - they have their own user space, plus a part of Android's user space in an lxc container with everything running on an Android kernel to get working hardware features.

What I am saying is that it is good that people create such projects, but there are severe limitations in terms of kernel updates.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Technically speaking, no. It's two operating systems sharing a kernel thanks to advanced virtualization features in Linux.

The concept of convergence is to use the same OS with the same apps in both smartphone and PC by changing the user interface only, and you can't do that here.
              Yes, I know. This is the irony/humour on my anedote.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

When you not need kernel source, check Leeco Le 2 x620, Vernee Apollo Lite and Xiaomi mi4C.
                No reson for displays larger then 5" if you do not have your palms like giant. Chinese smartphones deserve serious interest, indeed.

Comment

Working...
                X