Google Reveals Early Details About Android 7.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I would have said sdcard slot and PROPER sdcard memory expansion support. Fuck 4/8GBs, I can get 64 for pennies.
    I'm stating that if I buy a device that says it has 64 GB, 128 GB, etc, that should be completely available. There should be a second set of internal storage available inside the device for just the operating system and updates to sit on. The 4/8 GB's would be for just that and wouldn't be user-facing unless rooted.

Comment

Originally posted by srkelley5 View Post
      I'm stating that if I buy a device that says it has 64 GB, 128 GB, etc, that should be completely available. There should be a second set of internal storage available inside the device for just the operating system and updates to sit on. The 4/8 GB's would be for just that and wouldn't be user-facing unless rooted.
      Most non-Google non-Apple devices (Samsung is inconsistent, some have some don't) have already a separate system partition with fixed size, so you can update the firmware all you want and you don't lose space.

The entire concept of wasting space each update is stupid and artificial.

And the day when devices with 64GB of internal integrated storage will reach affordable prices I will be able to buy 512GB microSDs for pennies, so it's still worse.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Most non-Google non-Apple devices (Samsung is inconsistent, some have some don't) have already a separate system partition with fixed size, so you can update the firmware all you want and you don't lose space.

The entire concept of wasting space each update is stupid and artificial.

And the day when devices with 64GB of internal integrated storage will reach affordable prices I will be able to buy 512GB microSDs for pennies, so it's still worse.
        I never stated that I'm complaining about losing space with updates. I'm complaining about not having 64 GB's of completely user controlled space on a phone. With desktops and laptops, we have so much space available that losing some to the OS is ok. Not only that, but we have the ability to add storage to traditional pcs and use an entire drive for storage or in any way that a user can desire it. With a smart phone, the OS takes up a significant amount of the space available. The lower levels of memory are cheap enough, they should place everything that's firmware flashed onto a separate chip if they will not allow users to uninstall the software. Buying a phone that advertises 64 GB's of space but only having 52 GB's of it available to the user is crappy. The user available amount should be shown with the advertised amount of space. That can greatly differ between devices and would make a difference for consumers.

Comment

Working...
        X