Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Puts Out Sailfish OS "Fiskarsinjoki" In Early Access

Phoronix: Jolla Puts Out Sailfish OS "Fiskarsinjoki" In Early Access

Jolla is looking to push out Sailfish OS releases faster and thus today announced "Fiskarsinjoki" in early access form...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...skarsinjoki-EA

I like the codename. It's easy to remember and pronounce by everyone in the world.

Comment

This is the release that they open their UI right? Right? ......right....? Like they promised years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
        I like the codename. It's easy to remember and pronounce by everyone in the world.
        The whole point of a Finnish company using Finnish words for their own products is to, if you cant understand it, look it up. And maybe, just maybe, you might learn about a culture other than your own.

It makes people sit up and take notice, and maybe have a little fun trying to pronounce it.

And its a programmes version name, not a shelf product.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          The whole point of a Finnish company using Finnish words for their own products is to, if you cant understand it, look it up. And maybe, just maybe, you might learn about a culture other than your own.

It makes people sit up and take notice, and maybe have a little fun trying to pronounce it.

And its a programmes version name, not a shelf product.
          It's a marketing fail. IKEA uses nordic names for their products but they are the only one that covers their market at their scale, so they can afford of having highly-alien names that most people outside the few in nordic countries can't use or remember and is also too lazy to look up.

I really hope that, as you said, they keep this as engineering/beta name but will use a more mass-market-friendly name.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            It's a marketing fail. IKEA uses nordic names for their products but they are the only one that covers their market at their scale, so they can afford of having highly-alien names that most people outside the few in nordic countries can't use or remember and is also too lazy to look up.

I really hope that, as you said, they keep this as engineering/beta name but will use a more mass-market-friendly name.
            Do you really believe that anyone with a Sailfish-running device would give a sh*t about a nick name?

Comment

The mass-market for these products doesn't even exist. And anyway, it's just a nick name, releases have a pretty standard looking version number as well.

Comment

Does anyone still care?

Comment

What does this OS run on?

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
                    "Fiskars River".. could have been worse. Something with a 20+ characters,of which 1/4 just happens to be ä,ö.y

Comment

Working...
                    X