Purism Is Still Hoping To Build A GNU/Linux Free Software Librem Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Is Still Hoping To Build A GNU/Linux Free Software Librem Smartphone

Phoronix: Purism Is Still Hoping To Build A GNU/Linux Free Software Librem Smartphone

Purism, the startup behind the Librem laptops with a focus on free software and user privacy/freedom, still has their minds set on coming up with a GNU/Linux smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last time i checked they did not deliver fully blob-free systems so maybe they should work on delivering their promises before new device. As for phone - as long as it can run android it could be nice. Otherwise it would be EXTREMELY niche.

Comment

I don't have a lot if faith in it, but if it actually gets made and has decent hardware and software I may consider buying one. I like the idea of a truly open phone.

Comment

This would be great.
        A phone with killswiches would be awesome
        I really wouldn't care too much about the price.
        I think freedom is priceless.
        Especially today when everyone competes to track you, spy on you and to control you.

Comment

That would be great, but I fear it will end up like OpenMoko
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Ah well-supported and good hardware, Freescale stuff with Vivante GPUs. If I see another "open" project using an Allwinner piece of shit SoC I'm going to eat kittens alive.

Originally posted by bitman View Post
            Last time i checked they did not deliver fully blob-free systems so maybe they should work on delivering their promises before new device.
            They promised the impossible (de-blobbed modern Intel system) so that's not gonna happen.

Comment

The link represents my views on the matter. :P

Comment

Originally posted by sunnystormy View Post
                Mine too, as a matter of fact!

Comment

No way they can make a blob free 4G/LTE phone. No MFG AFAIK gives drivers for its modems.

Comment

Not possible with the current state of affairs in the modem driver/firmware world.

Can't even get a 802.11ac Wi-Fi card without closed firmware since OEMs keep them close due to their intellectual rights (= bad code) or regulations that prohibit antenna power management by users in some countries. A free GSM/UMTS/LTE implementation down to firmware? I doubt that.

The best you can hope for is an SoC with a modem which is separate from the main board (e.g. you interface with it via USB) with a hardware kill switch (physically disabling power to the separate chip). The key here is to avoid direct access to the main board's RAM from the modem which can have malicious firmware.

Comment

Working...
                    X