Android Studio 2.2 Beta Ships With Beta GPU Debugger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Again, why? Which of these features do you think will make your life easier as a mobile developer? http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/
    Also, support for Java8 being this late doesn't tell you anything about support for Java9?
    I am not sure what new stuff is in Java 9. But I would hope it would make it easier to write code with less boilerplate code and clever language constructs.

When I write Android apps it is very tedious and boring. Other programming languages such as C# are much nicer and more productive.
    I would like type interfering via a "var" keyword for DRY.

Yeah, I fear Google will be slow to adopt Java 9.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I am not sure what new stuff is in Java 9.
      Then open the damn link, that's why I dug it up for you *looks for facepalm smiley*
      Also, good to know your lack of knowledge doesn't prevent you from requiring support. Fast.

Comment

Also, good to know your lack of knowledge doesn't prevent you from requiring support. Fast.
        last-version-worship is a thriving cult.

Comment

Again, why? Which of these features do you think will make your life easier as a mobile developer? http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/
          Also, support for Java8 being this late doesn't tell you anything about support for Java9?
          Well, I believe Android was using Apache Harmony as JRE implementation, so they had difficulty supporting newer Java versions (they had to add support themselves where needed). Now that they are using OpenJDK, I believe it was easier to add support for Java 8.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well, I believe Android was using Apache Harmony as JRE implementation, so they had difficulty supporting newer Java versions (they had to add support themselves where needed). Now that they are using OpenJDK, I believe it was easier to add support for Java 8.
            Nope. Dalvik was their runtime environment and now it's ART. They even have their own compiler now. But you are correct, porting over features does take time.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              That's how the APIs towards the programs look like (so as to not force people to learn a whole new java implementation), but the java VM (the engine running the java code) ain't either of the ones you mentioned, as said above.

Comment

<- ..imagining bug77 and starshipeleven standing back to back fending off various misinformation attacks...
                The last 2 msgs (#15, #16) on the same topic would have been a combined backwards elbows, à la Double Dragon.

I am so glad I signed up.

Comment

bug77, @starshipeleven

I am talking about the Java standard library code implementation (java.lang.*, collections, files, threading etc.) - for those, Apache Harmony was being used earlier, and OpenJDK since Android 7.0

The VMs that run Java bytecode on Android devices are Dalvik and ART as you have said.

Comment

Working...
                  X