No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS Update "Aurajoki" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it you actually miss interms of OpenSource?

Kernel, Systrmd, Pulseaudio,libhybris,buteo,conman even the Wayland Compositor are OpenSource.

You can patch your UI (see openrepos.net and search fir patches).

Granted the Jolla Apps, like calendar, people, notes and such are closed. But you don't need to use them. sailfish-browser is opensource (search it on github).

Take a look at merproject which is an OpenSource project SailfishOS is based on. They have almost everything you need in their github.

User experience ist fantastic when it comes to Free and Open platform. Launch terminal enter devel-su to get root. Use vi or emacs to edit your GNU/Linux system tweak sysctl, your bashrc, pulseaudio, systemd. Edit mount points overlay your sd card with btrfs over yiur root filesystem. Run your own syncthing or owncloud in your pocket. Analyze and tinker with network.

All possible. I know Android can do most of the stuff aswell but not with that Linux / free and open feeling.

And yes I wish more and more parts of SailfishOS and their Apps would become free and open so you can for example modify the mail client from Jolla ti your liking.

But it isn't that bad like everyone wants to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by llelectronics View Post

Kernel, Systrmd, Pulseaudio,libhybris,buteo,conman even the Wayland Compositor are OpenSource.

Granted the Jolla Apps, like calendar, people, notes and such are closed. But you don't need to use them. sailfish-browser is opensource (search it on github).

Take a look at merproject which is an OpenSource project SailfishOS is based on. They have almost everything you need in their github.

User experience ist fantastic when it comes to Free and Open platform. Launch terminal enter devel-su to get root. Use vi or emacs to edit your GNU/Linux system tweak sysctl, your bashrc, pulseaudio, systemd. Edit mount points overlay your sd card with btrfs over yiur root filesystem. Run your own syncthing or owncloud in your pocket. Analyze and tinker with network.

All possible. I know Android can do most of the stuff aswell but not with that Linux / free and open feeling.

And yes I wish more and more parts of SailfishOS and their Apps would become free and open so you can for example modify the mail client from Jolla ti your liking.

Don't kill it man.

Let the idiots blab a bit more about closed source.

Comment

Exactly. So far there's no other project that gives you all that. Perhaps eventually Plasma Mobile will come up, but not quite yet.

Comment

the point is linux is open, ubuntu is open systemd is open, but the core devs are pro, they are paid

Comment

If you want to have a Sailfish phone you can buy any of these phones and flash it on to the phone.https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

If you want to port it to your Android phone you will get a lot of help from the community at https://webchat.freenode.net/ channel is sailfishos-porters
            This is your hardware adaptation kit https://sailfishos.org/develop/hadk/

Pirate pad tips for new porters http://piratepad.net/port-hot

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Exactly. So far there's no other project that gives you all that. Perhaps eventually Plasma Mobile will come up, but not quite yet.
              Excuse me? No other project? Most of what llelectronics listed are Open Source/Free Software projects not directly related to Sailfish itself.
              That stuff is widely available in other places and the only reason they "open sourced" possible changes is that the FSF would be after their asses if they hadn't.

Really. All things considered, Sailfish OS is probably about just as open as Chrome OS. Nothing to be ashamed of but also nothing to be overly fond of.

Comment

While I agree that SailfishOS has bits that are closed source, it's probably the best "hackable" mobile we have at the moment. I use Jolla daily, and if they manage to get new phone out officially, I'll gladly buy it.

Anyway, my point is that the more the merrier. I'm sick and tired of having Android monoculture. (I won't even consider iPhone or MS) Even if there is Ubuntu, third player in mobile OS space is still VERY beneficial to the overall ecosystem.

Software evolves. The more evolutionary pathways are explored via different projects and different attempts, the better. Software vulnerabilities affect some systems, not others. Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Right now, I love my Jolla. It has the best terminal app out there, and it has real Linux running on it, and one that can be used as real Linux, unlike Android. It even comes with SSH & SSHD working perfectly out of the box.

The only thing I'm unhappy about is the hardware- phone has aged, and could use an upgrade ASAP. And a decent upgrade- Jolla-C or Aqua Fish is not that much better specs wise.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Bullshit? Dickheads? cry about?

What the fuck is mer.

No need to get mad bro.

The best FOSS apps are developed by paid devs? Lmao.

Firefox = Good? LMAO XD.

Oh man, I should kite you for a exciting conversation, but in all honest I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about as your sentences read as pedantic pshycobabble instead of coherent statements that built off of eachother. So please start over and explain whatever you were trying to say in a skillfully crafted way instead of a spew of qertyitis.

If you fail to make sense in your followup my giveashit will drop to 0 and I will simply move on assuming you have nothing logical or relevant to add to the subject.
                  As per wikipedia: "Mer is a free and open-source software distribution, targeted at hardware vendors to serve as a middleware for Linux kernel-based mobile-oriented operating systems. It is a fork of MeeGo."
                  Both Plasma active and Sailfish are based on that.

On a topic that mentions Sailfish and MeeGo, it is reasonnable to expect people to know that. Apparently you don't, that's fine. But no need to plaster your post with "fuck", "bro" and "LMAO" when you are the ignorant one.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                    While I agree that SailfishOS has bits that are closed source, it's probably the best "hackable" mobile we have at the moment. I use Jolla daily,
                    Same here: it's the best phone OS experience I've had after Palm's/HP's WebOS (now it's in LG's hand and used more or less for smartTV only, and LG isn't interested in making it hackable).

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                    and if they manage to get new phone out officially, I'll gladly buy it.
                    On my side, I'm hoping that the whole idea to offer an official port of Sailfish OS on Fairphone.
                    Not only the opensource and free bits like the community edition, but also the commercial part (android app support using Myriad's Alien-dalvik and Microsoft Exchange Server support. Though the Android App support is getting useable on the community eddition by using SFDroid).

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    As per wikipedia: "Mer is a free and open-source software distribution, targeted at hardware vendors to serve as a middleware for Linux kernel-based mobile-oriented operating systems. It is a fork of MeeGo."
                    Both Plasma active and Sailfish are based on that.
                    Basically, Sailfish is mer with a specific user interface.
                    The UI itself isn't Free/Libre Software stricto sensu (not under GPL license) but the source is still accessible because it's basically just QML: just some JSON-like interface description with Javascript glue code.
                    Thus it is hackable and you actually find tons of patches to add / modify functionnality on openrepos.net

(It used to be the same situation with Palm/HP webOS: a Ubuntu-based full blown GNU/Linux core, on top of which a proprietary interface.
                    But said interface is heavily using HTML+Javascript (like a web-app, hence the name) and thus could be hacked and numerous patches where available.
                    The patching system used in webOS is actually a distant ancestror of the one used in SailfishOS for openrepos).

What is it you actually miss in terms of OpenSource?

Kernel, Systemd, Pulseaudio, libhybris, buteo, conman even the Wayland Compositor are OpenSource.

You can patch your UI (see openrepos.net and search for patches).
                    (note: typo fixed)

Yup basically everything except the UI is opensource. And even the UI engine (lipstick) is opensource. The only thing proprietary to Jolla is actually just the theme itself: home screen, etc.
                    And you can even find alternative UIs if you want to remove this proprietary bit.

(Nemomobile is basically just a straight mer-based linux, without the Jolla additions in sailfish OS.
                    Think Android AOSP vs The Google experience)

They have almost everything you need in their github.
                    Note: they have moved to their own git repo

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                      Excuse me? No other project? Most of what llelectronics listed are Open Source/Free Software projects not directly related to Sailfish itself.
                      That stuff is widely available in other places and the only reason they "open sourced" possible changes is that the FSF would be after their asses if they hadn't.

Really. All things considered, Sailfish OS is probably about just as open as Chrome OS. Nothing to be ashamed of but also nothing to be overly fond of.
                      Uh, what? Sailfish uses all those other Linux projects, yes. Like any other Linux distribution. In other words, Sailfish is a real Linux distribution and that is why it's so nice. I don't care that there's some high-level proprietary theming going on, it's really not relevant to the core functionality of the distribution.

As for ChromeOS, I can't comment much since I haven't used it myself (unlike Sailfish).

Comment

Working...
                      X