KDE Connect 1.0 Released For Device/Phone Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
    I'm seriously jealous as a GNOME user. 100mb of dependencies is just a tad more than I can bother with. At that point I've basically pulled in half of KDE...
    Could also be a packaging problem.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Can it run x11 applications (recompiled for ARM anyway)? I thought it was running only its own apps, and the "desktop mode" was dead with Ubuntu Edge.
      You have a link for me?
      Yes it can and no they are not recompiled, they run in a Libertine container via XMir, you can theoretically install any deb package on it. Desktop mode is far from dead, that is the main feature of Ubuntu Touch and it is actively developed, since 1-2 updates ago Meizu Pro 5 and BQ Aquaris M10 can now screencast over wifi as well. Tablet comes preinstalled with LibreOffice, XChat, Gimp and a few other X applications. Here are a few videos:

GIMP and LibreOffice on Ubuntu Phone - meizu MX4 ubuntu editionlibertine / Xmir

The latest Over-The-Air update (OTA) 11 is out! We've introduced wireless capabilities to the Meizu Pro 5, which gives users the full Ubuntu PC experience ru...

Just trying out GIMP on the BQ M10 Ubuntu tablet.Yes, it's the full GIMP with all the default filters etc.The pen is just a bog standard pen you'd use on a p...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ubuntu 16.10 Unity8/Mir - Current StateKeyboard NavigationGtk,Qt apps native on MirXmir, X11 apps on MirSnapsCopy Paste etc

Last video is Unity 8 and Mir on 16.10 running GTK and QT applications natively (on a desktop computer), both work fine though GTK integration is not complete yet, same Unity 8 is running on the phones, tablet and desktop, it has three different "modes", phone, tablet and desktop though desktop mode is not complete yet, it still lacks a proper dash and a few other things, but it is usable enough for testing and enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        Yes it can and no they are not recompiled,
        They need to be able to run on ARM, most distros offer ARM packages too (Debian is one of them).

That said, neat, I was wrong. I thought they had only Smartphone/Tablet modes in the pipeline.

I've always been a big fan of their Ubuntu Edge concept.

Comment

Does anyone know when this will hit Arch depots?

Current version is 0.9.g-3 [Flagged out-of-date on 2016-08-06].

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            They need to be able to run on ARM, most distros offer ARM packages too (Debian is one of them).

That said, neat, I was wrong. I thought they had only Smartphone/Tablet modes in the pipeline.

I've always been a big fan of their Ubuntu Edge concept.
            Convergence is the one big thing Ubuntu Touch has and others like Android and iOS dont, whether it will be enough to be a selling point in the future we will see, it would be such a shame if this effort goes to waste, having a portable desktop like that should be very useful for people who travel a lot, carry their work with themselves etc. I hope that when they complete the desktop part of Unity 8 they will find a partner to release a powerful phone with HDMI and wifi screencasting and that it will sell enough to ensure the continuity of the project. Snaps have evolved from click packages created for the phone, and are now available on many distributions, other technologies from it might benefit the Linux as a whole in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Does anyone know when this will hit Arch depots?

Current version is 0.9.g-3 [Flagged out-of-date on 2016-08-06].
              Would be nice, I looked for it too (super excited about the text reply functionality). But there's always the AUR git version you could use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                As is typical with KDE, you have a 1001 dependencies and it won't be stable for 5 years or more. And by then they'll have to move to another Framework version when QT upgrades and we'll have to wait for QT to get stable and yada....yada....yada........

No....as a GNOME or any other user....you have NOTHING to be jealous of.
                the list of dependencies:
                Requires: libc.so.6()(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6()(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)(64bit)
                libX11.so.6()(64bit)
                libQt5Core.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Core.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libQt5Core.so.5(Qt_5.6)(64bit)
                libQt5Gui.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Gui.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libQt5Widgets.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Widgets.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libKF5CoreAddons.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5I18n.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5ConfigCore.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5DBus.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5DBus.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libKF5WidgetsAddons.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5ConfigWidgets.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Network.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Network.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libKF5KIOWidgets.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5KIOCore.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5DBusAddons.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Qml.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5Service.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5Qml.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libQt5X11Extras.so.5()(64bit)
                libQt5X11Extras.so.5(Qt_5)(64bit)
                libKF5Notifications.so.5()(64bit)
                libXtst.so.6()(64bit)
                libKF5KIOFileWidgets.so.5()(64bit)
                libKF5KCMUtils.so.5()(64bit)
                libqca-qt5.so.2()(64bit)
                libKF5WaylandClient.so.5()(64bit)
                sshfs
                libfakekey.so.0()(64bit)
                libkdeconnectcore.so.0()(64bit)
                libkdeconnectinterfaces.so.0()(64bit)
                libkdeconnectpluginkcm.so.0()(64bit)
                rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
                rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
                rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1
                config(kdeconnect-kde) = 0.9g-1.4
                /sbin/ldconfig

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Would be nice, I looked for it too (super excited about the text reply functionality). But there's always the AUR git version you could use.
                  yeah, I think I will end up doing this. I already did that in the past, but ended up going back to the community depots when it was migrated there.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                    100mb of dependencies is just a tad more than I can bother with. At that point I've basically pulled in half of KDE...
                    Crying about 100MB is pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Crying about 100MB is pathetic.
                      Could be. I actually want agree, but why would they call on so many feature's from so many dep's. It's just talking to your phone. Theoretically, wouldn't it just need some comm's pieces for BT/WifI and some Qt interface pieces? Are they blocking unstable features? (I'm not folloing the roadmap, if they have one....which is a rare features these days apparently).

I dont code. I have KDE Connect on my Galaxy 3, and not really impressed that much. I just pick up my phone for phone things. I'm just asking questions for much benefit of all Kazakhstan.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X