Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.8 May Fix An Issue Of Some Laptops Burning Through Power While Suspended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.8 May Fix An Issue Of Some Laptops Burning Through Power While Suspended

Phoronix: Linux 4.8 May Fix An Issue Of Some Laptops Burning Through Power While Suspended

It looks like some newer Intel laptops will be much happier when S3 suspended with the upcoming Linux 4.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I indeed have this problem

Comment

I am instead waiting for the solution for a similar problem, when I shuts down the laptop, it automatically turns on after like few seconds.
      I have the same problem on two slightly different Acer v571g starting from kernel 3.2-Ubuntu 12.04.

Comment

had the same issue, woot!

Comment

I can confirm that such issues are fixed in Linux 4.8-rc1. The report is for a newer Nvidia Optimus laptop and there have been similar reports in the past at https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...tch/issues/115.

In Linux 4.8, the PCI core got the ability to runtime suspend its PCIe ports. This was taken advantage of by the nouveau driver and should fix some issues: excess power drain/overheating (various laptops), memory corruption (Lenovo T440p).

If you are a user of just bbswitch (not in combination Bumblebee or nvidia), I recommend you to use the nouveau driver since the bbswitch module (v0.8)is not yet updated to use this new functionality in the PCI core.

Comment

Working...
          X