Google Begins Rolling Out Android 7.0 Nougat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
    I am not sure why google did this as the 5 and 5X are not so different.
    Huh? Where do you come up with silly idea like this? They aren't even the same CPU architecture! They couldn't be more different.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

Another possibility is that Google has development requirements/testing/standards that differ from Cyanogenmod. Nexus devices have been hit by unfixable SoC driver incompatibilities that only appeared on update in the past (e.g. Nexus 4 camera bug). Google don't have to plan obsolescence to get people to buy new phones - the average phone replacement cycle is about two years anyway.
      Camera driver issues like that are due to the Android camera API advancing, but the camera driver *not* advancing. Its usually pretty trivial to write a shim for API compatibility. I've done it with other hardware of that age.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Except Cyanogenmod can't do that. They will support maybe one more version than the manufacturer does and even then you get issues like non working wifi, usb, bt, gps and whatnot. Precisely because all they can do rip the drivers from the official image and hope they can compile newer Android linking to them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
        And I'm not excusing Google here, they could ask that whoever want to supply the chips for the Nexus phone must provide support for X years. Then again, Google doesn't deal directly with these guys and the mobile market is huge, maybe Google doesn't have the clout to push for that.

Is Vulkan a requirement for Nougat? I wasn't aware of that.
        That isn't quite it though.
        I pulled a phone that shipped with 4.0 all the way up to 5.1. That is a span of EIGHT API levels. I gave up at that point because the hardware was obsolete and my phone was worn out. I also moved the kernel forward from 3.0 to 3.4 during this time.

The phone still works, and all hardware is functional and stable. In fact, more functional and stable than it ever was on the factory kernel/android build.
        But at some point, you just have to give up because it isn't worth putting in another 200 hours on a phone you don't even use.

Comment

Ok, lets put this one to rest.

The reasons why google does NOT perpetually support old hardware with newest software;

1) Not as many people still have the old hardware,
          2) The old hardware may not be *powerful* enough to support the new software (i.e., increased RAM utilization, as an example, consider running Android 6.0 on an ADP1, which at best has access to 114 MB RAM, and definitely not anywhere near enough internal storage space to fit even the most stripped down build of AOSP6)
          3) Google's biggest goal is to advance the platform, which is hard to do if all of your developers are busy supporting obsolete hardware.

It isn't as if the end of life point on these is unknown. Google has made a very clear statement about how long they will be supporting hardware. This is far beyond what any other vendor has offered.

Comment

Google doesn't sell devices (outside the limited Nexus line), so why would they care how often you buy one?
            You do realize we are talking about the Nexus line here? My original post was about the Nexus line specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              You do realize we are talking about the Nexus line here? My original post was about the Nexus line specifically.
              So you really think Google stops supporting Nexus phones because they want to sell more of them?
              Take a look here: http://www.investopedia.com/articles...ess-google.asp
              Selling phones doesn't even register on their revenue chart, it's not what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

That isn't quite it though.
                I pulled a phone that shipped with 4.0 all the way up to 5.1. That is a span of EIGHT API levels.
                It's still only one major release, which was my whole point actually. Because I think (but I'm not 100% sure), the Linux kernel is only updated between major releases.

Comment

So you really think Google stops supporting Nexus phones because they want to sell more of them?
                  Take a look here: http://www.investopedia.com/articles...ess-google.asp
                  Selling phones doesn't even register on their revenue chart, it's not what they do.
                  You do understand that Google's different divisions operate more or less independently under their own managements? Right? What goes on in the advertisement division and how much money it makes has little effect on the Android division and vice versa. If the Android division can boost their sales by X percent, it's a boost of X percent for them no matter how much money the advertisement division makes. Management bonuses for division managers are tied to the performance of the division they're leading, not the company as a whole.

Your defense of Google is pretty pathetic when it comes down to it... Divisions are going to try to make as much money as they can and the fact that another division is making a whole lot more doesn't mean they're going to get sloppy and stop caring about if they make or lose money (unless they're a pure research one like the self driving car division).

Comment

You do realize we are right now talking about the reason for that quick upgrade cycle?
                    Except iPhone has the same average ~2yr cycle. People buy new phones for lots of reasons..
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

You do understand that Google's different divisions operate more or less independently under their own managements? Right? What goes on in the advertisement division and how much money it makes has little effect on the Android division and vice versa. If the Android division can boost their sales by X percent, it's a boost of X percent for them no matter how much money the advertisement division makes. Management bonuses for division managers are tied to the performance of the division they're leading, not the company as a whole.

Your defense of Google is pretty pathetic when it comes down to it... Divisions are going to try to make as much money as they can and the fact that another division is making a whole lot more doesn't mean they're going to get sloppy and stop caring about if they make or lose money (unless they're a pure research one like the self driving car division).
                      The fail is strong with this one...

Comment

Working...
                      X