So Far Ubuntu Phone Hasn't Tempted Me, But Would Highly Consider A Tizen Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferry View Post
    I got my Ubuntu phone (Meizu MX4) from Meizu (China) directly. I had a mid range Android before this one, but needed to install Cyanomod on this to get openvpn working. I really wanted to sync our owncloud calendar and address book with it, but didn't find an app that did this well.

So while Ubuntu doesn't have 1M+ apps, I find it has the stuff I need:
    - openvpn built-in
    - ssh server built-in
    - uses syncevolution to sync owncloud calendar and address book (unfortunately for now only from the konsole/ssh)

Unlike Samsung android and Cyanomod I get regular updates and the thing just keeps getting better, including the battery life (3 day intervals between charging).

Most apps that I need are available through the browser or as web apps, which is just fine. Except of course whatsapp. But I had switched to telegram anyway because that allows installation on multiple devices, including my laptop and PC.
    If it cannot run Pokémon GO, your phone is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

If it cannot run Pokémon GO, your phone is useless.
      Then a few months ago, all smartphones in the world were useless? I didn't know …

Comment

There's a nice review of the Meizu Pro 5 running Ubuntu Phone up on http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...01#ubuntuphone

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Then a few months ago, all smartphones in the world were useless? I didn't know …
          This is how the world changes, a few decades ago a computer without internet connection was useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
            There's a nice review of the Meizu Pro 5 running Ubuntu Phone up on http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...01#ubuntuphone
            Thanks, it is an interresting review. Far away from the classical article focusing on the technical data and the lack of apps.
            This one is about experience and globally the results seem positive. I like the interface of this Ubuntu phone.

Comment

I wish Jolla had a phone out with better hardware. I have an original Jolla. While I still love it, it is showing its age. I will be forced to get a nexus or maybe a freephone if they don't release a new version soonish...

SailfishOS is quite good, perfectly usable as a daily phone. My main gripes with it are:

* Some Android apps eat battery like crazy.
              * Android compatibility could be better.
              * No 5GHz wireless.
              * Dated hardware- could use better screen, faster CPU, more RAM, etc.
              * I feel that the pace of development has slowed since the financial troubles around new year...

--Coder

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
                I got my Ubuntu phone (Meizu MX4) from Meizu (China) directly.
                Yes, it is possible to just order one from China, but that phone only supports a few bands, none of which are useful here in the US. 2G bands are getting shut down already, so I would imagine that phone wouldn't work at all, or not for much longer.

I am one of those people that would have used an Ubuntu phone regardless of the lack of apps, as long as a few basics were covered. Back when I tried it, there was no available navigation app, which is kind of a show stopper for me.

Comment

Also a happy Sailfish OS user here.
                  Eagerly waiting for Jolla and Fairphone to get their shit together and provide full official SFOS on Fairphone 2.
                  (It is on their todo list, they promise it, but it's moving at the speed of a glacier)

Comment

Working...
                  X