Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    With you spending so much time in the office and not using the phone that much and July being such a weak month in revenue, I wonder why you didn't go for a less flashy phone like a Moto G or X. An unlocked Moto G is like $200 and comes with dual-sim option (nice when travelling).

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Micheal, have you had a look at getting PTS running on Android devices? I'm not sure if it can be done without rooting the device?

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Originally posted by Techwolf View Post
    Watch out there, that phone will suffer from permite burn-in. I found that out the hard way on my SII. I will never get a phone that suffers from burn-in. I though we got past that when CRT started to go away. But nope, the phone makers found a way to make led displays suffer from that problem.
    My S2 didn't have the burn in. I remember reading about burn in happening with the original S, but you are the first person with an S2 that I have heard of with burn-in. Considering my S2 is now 5 years old, and is still in active daily use, I'd say it was a good phone overall. You can still buy phones that have worse specs (in terms of RAM/Flash) these days. The CPU is starting to show its age though. And the power management on those age of devices was not that great either, so charge every day, alas.

At least I can go to the dodgy spaza shop and get replacement batteries for it easily.

Leave a comment:

• Techwolf
    replied
    Watch out there, that phone will suffer from permite burn-in. I found that out the hard way on my SII. I will never get a phone that suffers from burn-in. I though we got past that when CRT started to go away. But nope, the phone makers found a way to make led displays suffer from that problem.

Leave a comment:

• MVinhas
    replied
    Oh no, I'm tired of this iOS vs Android wars, this was the last place I would imagine that they would occur.

Every mobile OS has their weakness and strengths. Even Windows 10 Mobile - that I used during 16 months - have great things that could succeed if MS didn't arrived so late. I eventually switched to Android (Moto G4, almost pure Android experience) because of the lack of apps. Now I do like Android, but I still think that W10M have potential.

Yes, you are seeing a post of a person that have Linux on his PCs and at the same time had Windows on his cellphone. Probably the only one in the world

Leave a comment:

• alexcortes
    replied
    Hello,

Are anyone of you using one of those Android Blackberry devices? Priv in particular, since the DTEK50 is on pre-order yet.
    The only opinions I found was from Blackberry enthusiasts whom only BBOS is right.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Why would you want to buy this crap? I mean the iphone.
    Isnt the article talking about the samsung s7?
    Last edited by edoantonioco; 31 July 2016, 06:27 PM. Reason: the instead of a

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Could probably fix the LCD screen on the iPhone for $20. Also Android has been viable since the HTC Dream phone. But since you have a Android phone, maybe it's time to upgrade it's distro to CyanogenMod 13.

You know you want to remove CarrierIQ.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-e...-edge-t3414697

Never mind, that mod isn't stable. This one is.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-e...dgev4-t3372923
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 31 July 2016, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• speculatrix
    replied

OK, Michael, the next step is to install a terminal emulator, and busybox.

For ssh, I like JuiceSSH, but irssi connectbot is pretty good too.

For maximum geek points, you need to root your phone, without tripping the Samsung Knox indicators, or getting the warning triangle on boot. When rooted, you can then chroot into a proper linux environment. It's pretty cool to have sshd running on your phone and rsync files on and off it.

Put in a memory card which has been partitioned to set aside 3 or 4 GB, and you can install debian into that - using your regular linux desktop and debootstrap.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by meekteef View Post
    Has Samsung improved...
    no

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    switched to using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Great, now you can do mobile Vulkan testing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X