Google Developers Improve Mesa's Android EGL Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Cool, I'll check it out. Freedreno runs a gentoo install perfectly. There is an AOSP image available for my phone, but I'm positive the userspace bits for freedreno weren't built. Although, I've seen in the past instructions for how to build an upstream andriod on a gentoo userspace, so that may well be my best option.

I believe this link is a guide to building a gentoo userspace that is compatible with aosp.
    The tricky thing is kernel.. it is somewhat difficult to make things for the upstream driver (which also supports x11/wayland) work on downstream kgsl driver. There is some sort of hacky support for x11 on top of downstream kgsl + fbdev, but not sure that anyone ever got that work on anything newer than an msm-3.4 kernel.

The good news here is there has been a lot of progress on getting devices working with an upstream kernel. Obviously John Stultz's work on the n7, but there are also patches for a few xperia devices (mostly msm8974 devices), and I've also seen recently initial upstream/devicetree patches for nexus5/nexus5x/nexus6p (and nexus4 is pretty close to nexus7 so that seems like low hanging fruit). So I'm looking forward to a brave new world of actual arm devices (in addition to dev-boards / sbc) supported in upstream kernel :-)

Comment

To the poster who didn't see Apollo Lake. Apollo Lake is actually Broxton for thin and cheap laptops, 2 in 1 hybrids, etc. Like Broxton, which was designed for cell phones and tablets and has been cancelled, Apollo Lake uses the Goldmont cores like Broxton. Apollo Lake is coming out this fall. Kaby Lake is the desktop iteration coming out first of next year. All of which will have Skylake derived Gen 9 iGPU. The list in your link shows Skylake, Broxton, and Kaby Lake. So Apollo Lake will be done very shortly.

Comment

Working...
      X