No announcement yet.

Reports Are Circulating That Samsung Wants To Switch More Devices Over To Tizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reports Are Circulating That Samsung Wants To Switch More Devices Over To Tizen

Phoronix: Reports Are Circulating That Samsung Wants To Switch More Devices Over To Tizen

Reports are once again circulating that Samsung is looking at easing its reliance on Google's Android by switching more of their devices over to running on their Linux-based Tizen project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess this can work. Just look how well Nokia+Symbian are doing. /s

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I think the biggest difference is that tizen supports android apps

Comment

Also, just because the others competitors have failed, doesn't means we can't get new competitors, this is literally really good for us.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Nokia's main problem was that it was taken over from the inside by Microsoft.

Comment

i like this news
            tizen is much better than android less lag, smaller, wayland...

Comment

Well NOKIA returning to mobile device market they licenced IP and brand to HMD Global.
              The Microsoft deal will end during second half of 2016 and then Nokia is free to develop mobiles and tablets again if they want to and it looks like it will be done by an Finnish company HMD Global.

I actually think that Nokias biggest problem was the microsoft deal and burning ship memo rather then continuing the Qt path and meego.

I can't remember how many times i read that Samsung will put Tizen on more or every device and slowly transition away from android but nothing has happened yet and until i see it for real this is only the yearly samsung tizen rumor.
              We get these rumors every year and every year people think there real and every year they say that this time it's from an reliable source.

Comment

Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post

I think the biggest difference is that tizen supports android apps
                That's pretty useless without Google Apps and Google Play support, which Tizen won't have. There have been other phones with Android compatibility layers, and it always failed. Nobody wants to sideload apps or use 3rd party appstores. And the ~80-90% compatibility you get with compatibility layers just isn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Nokia's main problem was that it was taken over from the inside by Microsoft.
                  Nokia's problems started way before that. That was only the conclusion.
                  Where Symbian and Tizen are alike is in their nature: both supposedly open projects where actually one contributor does the heavy lifting. After seeing all manufacturers fail at adding a simple skin to Android, I'm not sure I'd like any of them to supply the whole OS.

And please note that no good reason has ever been given in favour of Tizen. No better performance, no more capabilities, no speedy updates. Most likely Samsung just wants something they can bastardize at their own will.

Comment

You'd be surprised just how much runs Tizen already:
                    • Smart watches (all of them now - Gear 1 (with firmware update), Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, Gear S, Gear S2, Gear Fit 2 (Fit 1 ran an RTOS) - a few million devices
                    • All Samsung Smart TV's (from 2015 on) - that's 10's of millions of TV's
                    • Smart Fridges now (the only one Samsung sells with a nice big screen on the front)
                    • Smart phones (2 models only so far Z1 & Z3) - that's now I think a few million devices too
                    • Gear 360 (New 360 degree camera)
                    • Smart Things Hub (Smart Home)
                    • Digital Cameras (Mirrorless and DSLR) (NX300, NX2000, NX300M, NX30, NX1, NX500)
                    The only things Tizen hasn't hit yet are Tablets and PC's (desktop or Notebook). and yes it's only a small number of phones. That's 10's of millions of devices running Tizen there. Sure it's not billions but it's not a bad start. Yes we'd all love to see Tizen conquer the smartphone/table and PC world which is probably all you pay attention to if you think "nothing has happened yet". Tizen is expanding slowly and surely.

Comment

Working...
                    X