Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Got Steam Running On Android

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Got Steam Running On Android

CodeWeavers got their Wine-based CrossOver software running on Android, but before getting too excited, it's x86 Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

waiting for use wine in my zenfone 2

Comment

Ha, I was just asking myself, what would you do with Steam on ARM, before I opened the article.
      Still, Steam games are written for keyboard and mouse or console controllers, so this is still going nowhere. But from a technical PoV, it's an achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Ha, I was just asking myself, what would you do with Steam on ARM, before I opened the article.
        Still, Steam games are written for keyboard and mouse or console controllers, so this is still going nowhere. But from a technical PoV, it's an achievement.
        Well you can buy games, look at your achievements, maybe chat with your Steam friends.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well you can buy games, look at your achievements, maybe chat with your Steam friends.
          Steam already has an app on Android that lets you do all of those things.

A use I could think of would be distributing Android games, if Valve wanted to expand their market.

Comment

I wonder if they will get steam to work on arm using qemu or exagear desktop. Would be nice, but the opengl requirement might be a problem.

Comment

I have a lot of windows games that I would want to play on my arm desktop. This seems possible with exagear desktop. But what would finish it is wine using opengles instead of plain opengl.

Comment

While I really don't give a shi* about games, the bold part is really not a point against Android, especially with "N" coming out in a few months. If you're not aware, N has a couple of windowing modes added to it, the "split screen" that is already available from the menus in the preview builds, and the "floating" mode (like a traditional desktop) that is in a slightly more "alpha" state, but easily enabled by disabling dm-verity and adding a simple config file to the system partition. Floating mode really doesn't do anything useful for phones or tablets, since they just don't have the physical space to make good use of it (especially in a touchscreen configuration), but implies a certain move to devices with actual big displays. Things like LAPTOPS and DESKTOPS, which would be equipped with the input devices you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

While I really don't give a shi* about games, the bold part is really not a point against Android, especially with "N" coming out in a few months. If you're not aware, N has a couple of windowing modes added to it, the "split screen" that is already available from the menus in the preview builds, and the "floating" mode (like a traditional desktop) that is in a slightly more "alpha" state, but easily enabled by disabling dm-verity and adding a simple config file to the system partition. Floating mode really doesn't do anything useful for phones or tablets, since they just don't have the physical space to make good use of it (especially in a touchscreen configuration), but implies a certain move to devices with actual big displays. Things like LAPTOPS and DESKTOPS, which would be equipped with the input devices you mention.
                  Yeah, that's it.
                  With Steam running on Windows, Linux, OSX and even SteamOS, Steam on Android is really what everyone has been waiting for.

Comment

Steam games are written for keyboard and mouse or console controllers, so this is still going nowhere. But from a technical PoV, it's an achievement.
                    I've got loads of badly ported console games in my library. Perhaps in the future I will have badly ported Android games too.

PC is so much better than console, even the masochistic level is better in games like dark souls (sarcasm in reference to the bad port and people who respect the game due the it's difficulty)

Comment

Working...
                    X