It's Possible To Get The Nexus 7 Running On A Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Possible To Get The Nexus 7 Running On A Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: It's Possible To Get The Nexus 7 Running On A Mainline Linux Kernel

With an effort led by John Stultz at Linaro, developers have managed to get a Google Nexus 7 tablet running on a mainline Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-7-On-Mainline

That's quite impressive.
    Also, about the Sony contribution mentioned: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2016...peria-devices/

Comment

Interesting, perhaps it might give KDE Plasma Mobile the push to come to my Nexus 7 before my 100th birthday; however I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Which Nexus 7 is this? The original 2012 version?

Ah, a G+ commenter says:
        I'm assuming 2013 because the Freedreno driver is used (for Adreno GPUs). The 2012 Nexus 7 has an NVIDIA GPU.

Comment

This is very cool. I've just ordered a Pixel C, so my Nexus 7 is now a prime candidate for installing an alternative OS for shts and giggles. Any Linux distro other than Ubuntu would be nice

Comment

Stand still my beating heart, it's not 2012, its FLO aka Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013).

@Michael: Do edit your article to specify what device.

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            That's quite impressive.
            Also, about the Sony contribution mentioned: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2016...peria-devices/
            Yeah, Sony should enable bootloader unlocking for devices sold through TelCo's first, then brag about how developer friendly they are. :-|

Comment

Since when is “mainline + x patches” considered “mainline“?

Comment

hey guys, we at least got 3.4 for the grouper n7. check my github for the source.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  Since when is “mainline + x patches” considered “mainline“?
                  John's g+ post makes it clear, ~50 patches on top of mainline, and of those, I expect given a bit of time most/all will land upstream. That is a *significant* difference from any vendor kernel you will get on these sorts of devices (with 1-2M SLOC delta from upstream, and next to nothing headed upstream). Good luck rebasing ${some_random_device}'s 3.4 kernel at each kernel -rc.

To put the "50 patch" number in perspective, the i915 kernel driver is 400+ patches from v4.4 to v4.5.. qcom's 3.18 branch is 15000+ patches from upstream v3.18.. 50 patches is really nothing.

Comment

Ooooh, nice! I thought from the headlines that it would be running some weird crap like ubuntu, but its running mainline kernel + freedreno + mesa + ANDROID. That is really awesome.

Next step is doing the same to Nexus 4, which has a lot of similarities.

Comment

Working...
                    X