X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siuoq
    replied
    Originally posted by hangingwithsnoopy View Post
    For those that are interested it looks to be available for 229 pound or about 250 dollars.

https://store.bq.com/en/aquaris-m-10/
    That's an other device, with different screen resolution (and different OS, and different price, ofc).

Leave a comment:

• hangingwithsnoopy
    replied
    For those that are interested it looks to be available for 229 pound or about 250 dollars.

Leave a comment:

• Siuoq
    replied
    Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
    Why not just use something like this: http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-w1s.html

​10" Screen, Intel Z8300 faster than the mediatek by far, and less driver issues I presume. 4GB RAM as well, costs $230 USD [~210 EUR] or with 3G for 243USD . I had an older $130USD 2GB RAM [W6s] one that dual booted Windows and Android.

Would run convergence far better as well, which is the whole point of this right? Last think you want if showing how a 'converged' device works is a cheaper Windows device to do it better :/ It kills me when I see OSS companies somehow completely f**k up devices that are meant to demonstrate their new tech.

How hard would it be for Canonical to make an Ubuntu image for one of those tablets instead?
    Cause Intel hates Canonical and Mir, and doesn't write drivers.
    + I think they want to build an ARM ecosystem too, which would be nearly impossible if there exist an intel platform that is overkill (can run todays binaries). Nobody would buy an ARM in that case (further see: windows RT ARM).
    (That may be the reason for the cheap SoC too, putting a bigger SoC in an upcoming new device is much easier than putting a cheaper one)

Leave a comment:

• zeealpal
    replied
    Why not just use something like this: http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-w1s.html

​10" Screen, Intel Z8300 faster than the mediatek by far, and less driver issues I presume. 4GB RAM as well, costs $230 USD [~210 EUR] or with 3G for 243USD . I had an older $130USD 2GB RAM [W6s] one that dual booted Windows and Android.

Would run convergence far better as well, which is the whole point of this right? Last think you want if showing how a 'converged' device works is a cheaper Windows device to do it better :/ It kills me when I see OSS companies somehow completely f**k up devices that are meant to demonstrate their new tech.

How hard would it be for Canonical to make an Ubuntu image for one of those tablets instead?

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The Mediatek code that entered the mainline code was not for the DRM, but instead platform support for the SoC.
    You're right, it's even less than I thought. Just dts files.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    That's not the only problem. They've made heavy changes to the kernel that they advertise as proprietary... And I've not been able to give any repos for it.
    Providing drm drivers is kind of the bare minimum which nearly all, if not all, soc manufacturers provide.
    The Mediatek code that entered the mainline code was not for the DRM, but instead platform support for the SoC.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by yacc143 View Post

Well, on my work profile I've got currently 45 tabs open (Tab Count claims that), my private profile has 61 tabs open, so I presume it's 106 tabs. But as I said, most of these are unloaded, the only tabs that are not unloaded after a timeout are the Google Mail/Calendar/Plus and TinyRSS tabs, that are pinned.

Personally, my most critical tools are the Terminal, Emacs, and some Browsers. Emacs will probably stay a X11 app for quite some time, Terminal is probably native. Chrome I'm not sure => on one hand it's quite active and so on, OTOH experiences suggest that modern browsers have quite a bit of intimate interaction with the GPU => that might make a port away from X11 slightly harder.

Absolutely, and I'm toying to getting one myself. It's just that 2GB makes it clearly a toy, not a device that one could work on. (But then, I question the idea that one can work on a 8GB laptop, at least in my occupation.)
    Your work load is certainly unusual with so many gigabytes of RAM used, most people dont need that much RAM. Terminal is native yes, its pretty good, has tab support etc. Browsers are the biggest resource hogs nowadays, and can probably use up all that 2 GB RAM the fastest with people that use many tabs though most buyers will probably be aware of that, and use mobile applications where possible to reduce RAM usage. We will see when they demo it with how much a user can get away with. Even if they released a tablet with 4 GB RAM it wouldnt be enough for you, heavy users like you will likely have to wait a bit more until 8 GB or so comes out. Average home user, business office users etc will likely find the current tablet sufficient for their needs. I need it to run a few X applications like Chromium, Gthumb, VLC and Skype, maybe a few other programs, but those that would run continually would be Chromium and Skype, maybe a torrent client like Qbittorrent, though there is one mobile client in Store. Other software like music player etc is good enough in mobile version.

What is important is that the concept gains attention of buyers and OEMs, then it will be an easy thing to provide a ultra high end tablet or a phone, first steps are always small and cautious. And not everyone can afford high end products, especially for experimentative purposes, I am glad they chose a modestly priced tablet and didnt go for something expensive for the first converged device. Now I consider buying it along with the future converged phone, if it cost 2x the price I would definitely give up on the tablet no matter the specifications. Though how much it will actually cost is unknown, but it shouldnt be more expensive than the Android version, BQ's Ubuntu phones cost as much as the Android models.

Leave a comment:

• yacc143
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

How many tabs do you run? I currently run Chromium with about 15 tabs, Nautilus, Decibel, Skype and Telegram and use 2 GB. Mobile applications that integrate well with Unity 8 are more lightweight, it is likely people will use X applications when there is no mobile equivalent. This is likely an intro device and if users react well we can expect more powerful devices. We will see the performance when they demo the tablet on MWC in a few weeks. At this price level specifications are good, it costs 259.90 EUR. Better to keep price reasonable to reach more people than offer something expensive a portion of users will not be able to afford. I waiting for a converged phone but at this price I will think about getting a tablet too, if it cost 500 EUR I would definitely not buy it.

Well, on my work profile I've got currently 45 tabs open (Tab Count claims that), my private profile has 61 tabs open, so I presume it's 106 tabs. But as I said, most of these are unloaded, the only tabs that are not unloaded after a timeout are the Google Mail/Calendar/Plus and TinyRSS tabs, that are pinned.

Personally, my most critical tools are the Terminal, Emacs, and some Browsers. Emacs will probably stay a X11 app for quite some time, Terminal is probably native. Chrome I'm not sure => on one hand it's quite active and so on, OTOH experiences suggest that modern browsers have quite a bit of intimate interaction with the GPU => that might make a port away from X11 slightly harder.

Absolutely, and I'm toying to getting one myself. It's just that 2GB makes it clearly a toy, not a device that one could work on. (But then, I question the idea that one can work on a 8GB laptop, at least in my occupation.)

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    I expect that Samsung, Jolla and KDE will release a tablet soon. (Just because they don't want to support Canonical)
    As one of the backers of the Jolla Tablet... fuck Jolla. They had their chance and they blew it. I expected way more competency when dealing with Chinese parts manufacturers since they had already been selling a phone, but was proven wrong.

Samsung would be interesting if they made a Tizen tablet. They already know nobody has done a good Android tablet in a while, and they need a breakout success to justify Tizen.

KDE already tried Vivaldi. It is very unlikely anyone is going to try another custom tablet from KDE any time soon. It is best to wait for the software to be ready and then provide hardware for it.

Leave a comment:

• Siuoq
    replied
    Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
    Ubuntu and unity in a low end tablet with x.org running on a Mir back end

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE AND NOPE
    Why not? Mir has already boosted the developement of Wayland+Weston.
    I expect that Samsung, Jolla and KDE will release a tablet soon. (Just because they don't want to support Canonical)
    In same cases, bad things implicate good things, simply because of resistance.

(Althought I don't hate Canonical, I rather would hate RH+Samsung+Intel, if I was forced to hate some company)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X