Canonical Reveals The Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The Mediatek code that entered the mainline code was not for the DRM, but instead platform support for the SoC.
    You're right, it's even less than I thought. Just dts files.

Comment

Why not just use something like this: http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-w1s.html

​10" Screen, Intel Z8300 faster than the mediatek by far, and less driver issues I presume. 4GB RAM as well, costs $230 USD [~210 EUR] or with 3G for 243USD . I had an older $130USD 2GB RAM [W6s] one that dual booted Windows and Android.

Would run convergence far better as well, which is the whole point of this right? Last think you want if showing how a 'converged' device works is a cheaper Windows device to do it better :/ It kills me when I see OSS companies somehow completely f**k up devices that are meant to demonstrate their new tech.

How hard would it be for Canonical to make an Ubuntu image for one of those tablets instead?

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post

​10" Screen, Intel Z8300 faster than the mediatek by far, and less driver issues I presume. 4GB RAM as well, costs $230 USD [~210 EUR] or with 3G for 243USD . I had an older $130USD 2GB RAM [W6s] one that dual booted Windows and Android.

Would run convergence far better as well, which is the whole point of this right? Last think you want if showing how a 'converged' device works is a cheaper Windows device to do it better :/ It kills me when I see OSS companies somehow completely f**k up devices that are meant to demonstrate their new tech.

How hard would it be for Canonical to make an Ubuntu image for one of those tablets instead?
        Cause Intel hates Canonical and Mir, and doesn't write drivers.
        + I think they want to build an ARM ecosystem too, which would be nearly impossible if there exist an intel platform that is overkill (can run todays binaries). Nobody would buy an ARM in that case (further see: windows RT ARM).
        (That may be the reason for the cheap SoC too, putting a bigger SoC in an upcoming new device is much easier than putting a cheaper one)

Comment

For those that are interested it looks to be available for 229 pound or about 250 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by hangingwithsnoopy View Post
            For those that are interested it looks to be available for 229 pound or about 250 dollars.

https://store.bq.com/en/aquaris-m-10/
            That's an other device, with different screen resolution (and different OS, and different price, ofc).

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post

Why not? Mir has already boosted the developement of Wayland+Weston.
              I expect that Samsung, Jolla and KDE will release a tablet soon. (Just because they don't want to support Canonical)
              In same cases, bad things implicate good things, simply because of resistance.

(Althought I don't hate Canonical, I rather would hate RH+Samsung+Intel, if I was forced to hate some company)
              Why not? Because it will be sluggish as hell and will eat battery like an obese with diabetes eat sugar

Comment

I have this BQ tablet on order. I will run the Phoronix Suite on it when it arrives. (late April is what they are quoting me) The Meizu 5 Pro Ubuntu Edition can't be ordered just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post

​10" Screen, Intel Z8300
                  I've been trying to get Linux running acceptably on my Baytrail tablet which has a dock (Toshiba Click Mini). Contact me if you have one and want to get involved, there's a small group of us trying.
                  We're having to use various patches from random places to get the hardware to work. It's not stable, and we've not been able to get sound, cameras, Bluetooth, buttons or suspend/resume working. We've been able to re-use some of the work of a larger team working on the Asus Transformer devices who've had more success.
                  Overall, Linux on Baytrail and its successor Cherrytrail is a pretty sh*tty experience.

Comment

BQ has sent me an official order receipt which means it has moved from pre-order status to build. They also dropped the VAT off since it is not shipping to the EU. I didn't want to have to file for a VAT refund and they fixed that. Many at work want to see this, not for the hardware per se, but to give a commercial deployment of Ubuntu Touch the full treatment.

Comment

My BQ Ubuntu Touch tablet arrived from Spain today. Comes with 15.04 release. Interesting touch parameters....still getting used to it as this is my first work with Ubuntu Touch.

I will run PTS as soon as it finishes updating.

Comment

Working...
                      X